HELP! First time hatching...chick has a Foot/Toe/Joint issue!!!!

HeltsleyHen

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 8, 2013
This is the first time hatching eggs and one of the chicks has an issue. It pipped on day 20 and was still not unzipped today around lunch. Peeping VERY LOUDLY in the shell and seemed like it was trying to do something. Finally, I decided to artificially unzip the shell. I left the membrane intact and just chipped away the shell in a line around where the original pip was. Despite all the "DO NOT HELP" advice I have read, I just couldn't sit there and watch this little thing die in the shell. It seemed like it was trying so hard. After about 10 or 15 minutes it broke free and hatched. Obviously very tired. I noticed what I thought was curled toes on one fott but that has since corrected. Now I am worried about the joint just about the foot (the ankle?). It doesn't seem quite right, almost as if its not bending the way its supposed to. Little chick still chirps very loudly at times and I am just trying to figure out how to help it. Any advice would be appreciated!

Also, looks like it is not fluffing up, just dried albumen or something on it. Looks a bit wet but its not. Should I try to get that off somehow, if so, what is the best process for doing that?

Back
Top Bottom