Established hens attacking newbie

Darrell72223

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 11, 2013
I have 2 Delaware hens and a silkie hen -- had them for almost 2 years. I acquired a juvenile Buff Minorca and a 9 month old Silver-laced Polish top hatter about a month ago. I've kept them separated by a chicken wire fence during the day. They roost together in the coop at night.

When I put them together during the day, the Delaware hens are really picking on the Polish. Today was the worst -- they both held her down and her really going at her, pecking and pulling. I had not seen them that aggressive.

Will this ever get better? I was hoping the pecking order would have been established by now. The Polish is absolutely the most docile and sweetest chicken I have ever had. I hate seeing the others (twice her size) attack her so. Is there anything I can do? Will it get better? Will I have to get rid of one or the other?

I have 2 Delaware hens and a silkie hen -- had them for almost 2 years. I acquired a juvenile Buff Minorca and a 9 month old Silver-laced Polish top hatter about a month ago. I've kept them separated by a chicken wire fence during the day. They roost together in the coop at night.

When I put them together during the day, the Delaware hens are really picking on the Polish. Today was the worst -- they both held her down and her really going at her, pecking and pulling. I had not seen them that aggressive.

Will this ever get better? I was hoping the pecking order would have been established by now. The Polish is absolutely the most docile and sweetest chicken I have ever had. I hate seeing the others (twice her size) attack her so. Is there anything I can do? Will it get better? Will I have to get rid of one or the other?
Maybe put hot sauce on the picked-on hen--that will put a stop to pecking pretty fast. I have found it pretty effective to give the aggressor a small kick each time she tries to attack a newbie.

Chicken don't have heat receptors so hot sauce will not do a thing to deter them.

Take one of the bullies out and put it in another enclosure, adjacent with visual access but physically confined, for a few days.
That will shake up the pecking order and give your polish some peace.

Do they have lots of room in the run during the day so the polish can get away?

Polish can get picked on because of those funky head feathers.

Back
Top Bottom