What to Look for in a Broody Rooster

Pics

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
Background

There are so many postings concerning how evil roosters in general can be. Also when rooster are presented in a positive light is seems like every thing is in reference to what a rooster does for his "girls". Here I present a very different situation with a breed that is very frequently vilified by parties that have little or no experience with them. This is primarily about a rooster investing in his offspring.

Slugger (The Rooster / Cock / Father)

I have been keeping a rooster with a “hen” so they can range freely in area immediately around the house. They have been roosting in the garage which is also where the “hen” incubated a clutch fathered by same rooster which has resulted in 13 chicks. Rooster in this case is more accurately referred to as a cock because from the perspective of data keeping he is greater than 1 year old and from the biological perspective his is into his second full adult feather set (> 18 months old). Appearance and behavior of such a cock is generally distinguishable from that of a younger cockerel even though the latter male may also be sexually mature. The “hen” could also be referred to as a pullet in that she is less than a year old (currently 10 months). Even though she is sexually mature there are some modest behavior changes to come once she is also in her second adult feather set.

Chicks and Ranging Habits of Harem
The chicks are a little over 2 weeks old and go back under direction of their mother to the same nest each night in garage. Chicks are typical in generally staying close to mother and each other while out foraging and retreating under her skirt when they are satiated or cold. The chicks also go to father when he indicates good eats. Entire family unit ranges at most about 125 feet from garage during the course of a day. The restricted ranging habits is due to a combination of extremely good forage quality, limited time outside of garage owing to confinement during bulk of day (see below), and the application of supplemental feed and water in the garage.

Particular Observations
Until the last few days the cock normally roosted on old motorcycle that was about 10 feet from nest box I made on floor. Each morning they for about an hour they are allowed outside to forage before I call them back for while I am at work then when at end of work day 1745 they are released until they go back to their roosts which for hen and brood that is about 1 hour before dark and for rooster it is about twilight. Cock has been staying very close to pullet and brood when outside foraging only leaving when chasing off the dom harem leader then he comes back quickly. He spends a lot of time with head down among brood doing what I suspect is related to imprinting which normally important later. Over last weekend it was obvious he was scratching up a lot of bugs for the brood (not unusual in its self) but chicks were following him almost as much as they were their mother even when he was not tidbitting. For the last few evenings has been accompanying rest of family into nest and staying inside with them for about 15 minutes before coming out for a short bit and then going back in for balance of night. Mother is first to enter nest usually with a couple chicks, then father stands outside looking in making grumbling growl like sound that is similar to that he produced when indication a good nest site, then he slowly walks in and settles down with his tail protruding from nest. Balance of chicks come, many from top and they have to either walk over or under him to get in. After all are settled chicks can be found under both adults which is where they stay for the balance of the night. Chicks defecate in nest through the night but both adults refrain from doing so. Typically broody females do not defecate in nest and can hold it for more than 24 hours although rooster generally defecate as they need to. Father, when he leaves nest at about down, goes up on motorcycle and takes a massive crap before starting a bout of crowing. He held it in all night just like mother.

Slugger with Blanch (mother) in nest with brood for night. He has been doing this for a week.

Additionally I conducted an experiment where father was placed in a pen by himself that chicks could not get to. Then I poured about 50 mealworms into middle of pen. Father called chicks and mother over but they could not get to eats. Father was briefly confused before proceeding to pick up mealworms one at a time and carrying them to fence where he then presented them to chicks. When a chick consumed a mealworm the process was repeated.

Contrast with Typical
The chicks jumping on fathers back during the day and his providing choice food items as well as protection is typical. What distinguishes this from the normal process with chicks is where father allows chicks to snuggle up under him during the day and the cohabitating in the nest with hen and brood. Additionally the father will spend a lot more time away from hen and brood than when he becomes broody and he is right among brood most of the day.

Pattern
I have had this happen enough that I am starting to think I know how it works. It is normal for father of this breed to imprint on brood and for brood to imprint on him. This imprinting is important for later when mother begins investing in next brood and father steps up his investment in his now juvenile brood which persist until they are about 12 weeks old. What causes the observed variation with more intensive investment in chicks is the fathers close early confinement with brood which is more so than he would if they were totally free-range kept or involving a more hens in his harem where he diverts more activities away from brood. Large brood also seems to promote process.

Relate to Others
This is one of the interesting behaviors of some games that does not appear to be exhibited by other breeds or wild red jungle fowl. Either it comes from the grey jungle fowl side or was developed independently through particulars of the domestication process for some breeds.

VIDEO WILL BE SHOWN SHORTLY SHOWING HOW HE TRANSFERS EATS TO CHICKS

Last edited:
Just a little bit ago the brood somehow trapped itself in a derelict coop. Both parents moved about 50 feet away to be under a trailer where they proceeded to call for chicks to follow. Chicks could not follow and indicated their distress by loud cheaping. Dogs then got interested as they always do and began patrolling around coop looking for something to chase as they are trained to do. Then I walked to survey problem and figure out a way to release chicks. Chicks became even more distressed when I tried to lift coop so chicks could walk out beneath raised frame. Both parents came running out towards me but where intercepted by dogs. Mother then proceeded to flog Scoob getting in a couple good licks before father joined in with both birds going after Scoob’s head. Scoob is well versed in such and went into an elaborate display where he bows down and looks away. Both adults quickly broke off attack and moved to coop as I released their brood. Chicks loitered more than I like picking at bugs forcing me to hold a 300 lb load longer than I wanted.

Despite Sluggers impressive spurs, the combined attack of both adults was not enough to move Scoob off. They can scratch and poke but a determined attacker will still keep coming. The additional attacker might work against something small like a fox but larger attackers like a coyote are more likely to run off with two adult chickens rather than one under such scenario.
A little later I saw family group walk towards flooded kiddy pool for a drink. A subflock of ducklings and juvenile bantams was already present. Slugger took lead and went directly at the other birds causing them to make a hasty retreat. Father gets along well with his own offspring but appears to drive off the offspring of others which is consistent with past observations. He can distinguish his offspring from those of others just like a hen can.

Cool information. Thanks for all the detail. My only experience with a rooster ended a few months after he reached maturity (or at least sexual maturity) because he was such a brute to the hens, chasing them around, holding them down and hurting them in the attempt to mate. Do you think I had a bad rooster or should I just have kept him away from the girls until he was older? I'm considering trying a self-sustaining flock of dual-purpose birds rather than keeping a coop of egg-layers, purchasing new ones as necssary and then purchasing new meat birds every spring. Do you have any advice in how to select from several cockrels which one is going to be the best daddy?

Cool information.  Thanks for all the detail.  My only experience with a rooster ended a few months after he reached maturity (or at least sexual maturity) because he was such a brute to the hens, chasing them around, holding them down and hurting them in the attempt to mate.  Do you think I had a bad rooster or should I just have kept him away from the girls until he was older?  I'm considering trying a self-sustaining flock of dual-purpose birds rather than keeping a coop of egg-layers, purchasing new ones as necssary and then purchasing new meat birds every spring.  Do you have any advice in how to select from several cockrels which one is going to be the best daddy?

Rooster was likely not fully mature or "hens" were not themselves mature.

I generally select first on behavior keeping more than one. Then it comes down to behavior which is measured as to how females react around him. Females will accept what they see as a quality male. If a male is a man-fighter and you do not have time to correct, then cull.

If a re-boot required owing to current roosters not meeting needs then breed selection and breeder source should be considered. For me American Dominiques have minimal man-fighting tendencies.

Father bird killed a half-grown Ancona Duckling and dinged up another. Victim panicked and ran into corner. Ducklings will be contained elsewhere. Mother may have had a hand in attack as well but blood was evident on her feet.

Not a single crowing from him all night. He is still in nest box. Roosters in yard are crowing like crazy. This broody rooster still crows very frequently during day as in excellent health. Just moments ago he produced his first crow and is now doing it at about 30 second intervals, if that.

Yesterday evening father bird chased after our female dog that was playing within 50 feet of dog. His behavior was nothing like with man-fighting. He displayed like a broody hen with attitude. Dogs superior speed got her out of harms way. Dog still much faster. Rooster and hen effectiveness with flogging is all about surprise. If you know what is coming you can either deflect attacks or outrun them.

Also part of brood got lost in house about time they were going to roost. I think they went through house because all doors were left open,

Last edited:
I have had a broody rooster sharing duties with Silkies and a Barred Rock rooster who insisted on sticking with brooder raised chicks throughout their growth. He never followed the hens around when the chicks were out. Just watched over them, fed them and kept them protected.

It's not something I see a whole lot, and sure is heart warming.

Back
Top Bottom