Questions about Muscovy ducks !

JLfarm

Songster
9 Years
Aug 29, 2013
Rayne lousiana
Hi I am starting this thread for all the newbies and experts to ask their questions about their muscovys and hopefully get the answer they were looking for.

So ask questions and experts and myself will tell u the answer from our experience.

I have 3 almost 1yr old Muscovy's (a drake & 2 ducks). Got them a couple months ago. I have seen them only recently start mating (infrequently for the last few weeks), but they haven't produced any eggs yet that I've found. They are currently on a layer ration (with a touch of cracked corn & sunflower seeds) at night and they free range outside & in our pond during the day.
Should they not be getting into laying mode soon?
(I've been scouting the pond for nests/eggs daily. Don't want them laying down there bc there's a pretty big snapping turtle we have failed to catch yet.)

Last edited:
Yes they should be laying fairly soon within about a month r so mine have mated about a week and then start laying. If u have a pic it would also help me to tell.

My Muscovy hens start laying when the warmer temp and sun stay longer. This past winter really did a number on mine. they are used to the sunny south and no sleet and ice storms. they Molt in in fall and stop laying. once they start laying you will see anywhere from 19 to 20 something eggs in a nest. be pre pared you hens may want to nest together. which will over load the nest for sure. I have seen 2 and 3 females on nest and have 3 layers of eggs. good luck hope all has went well for you.
celebrate.gif

Last edited:
I have 3 almost 1yr old Muscovy's (a drake & 2 ducks). Got them a couple months ago. I have seen them only recently start mating (infrequently for the last few weeks), but they haven't produced any eggs yet that I've found. They are currently on a layer ration (with a touch of cracked corn & sunflower seeds) at night and they free range outside & in our pond during the day.
Should they not be getting into laying mode soon?
(I've been scouting the pond for nests/eggs daily. Don't want them laying down there bc there's a pretty big snapping turtle we have failed to catch yet.)

Changes, new places, new set-ups will delay laying which is normal. i would bet as they become comfortable with their new home laying will resume. If you have a snapper i would make sure they have nesting areas available in a place safer.. that is definitely not a spot you want them in, as you said.
smile.png

My Muscovy hens start laying when the warmer temp and sun stay longer. This past winter really did a number on mine. they are used to the sunny south and no sleet and ice storms. they Molt in in fall and stop laying. once they start laying you will see anywhere from 19 to 20 something eggs in a nest. be pre pared you hens may want to nest together. which will over load the nest for sure. I have seen 2 and 3 females on nest and have 3 layers of eggs. good luck hope all has went well for you.
celebrate.gif
They are capable of this but not always i have nest sized that vary, some will set with a half dozen or less others have them stacked to the ceiling, Muscovy are able to have large clutches but don't always adhere to this.
smile.png

In my experience shared nests do not end well, not once have i had one have success and Muscovy females are quite territorial over their young too.

Last edited:
I'm so excited! I bought 4 muscovy ducklings at a flea market today
1f604.png
They are around a month old and so cute! I love them already. I love watching them hunt flies and try to snap them up. I'm wondering if they are gonna eat as much as my mallards. And I know I'm gonna have more questions later, I just can't think of any right now.
I was also wondering about mildewed feed and whether or not it's bad to feed it. I keep my feed bag in a plastic garbage can but we've gotten alot of rain lately and I guess the humidity has mildewed my feed. Do I have to throw it out? It's still half a 50 lb bag
1f61e.png

I wouldn't feed them the mildewed feed it just isn't healthy if u have chickens though that are adults the love mildewed feed atleast mine do ( I had a bag of old feed and I was going to throw it and the chickens got into it first ) all my chickens were healthy still but they were adults though not babies so I hope that answeres the feed question. Now as far as the will the eat as much I can't relate I never raised mallards. :) hope this helps.

Moldy feed is toxic to birds, i would not feed it under any circumstances. As for amounts, being a large fowl yes Muscovies eat a fair bit, compared to a mallard which is a smaller breed size that said they are not to bad i keep quite a few here, they are excellent foragers.

Back
Top Bottom