First Run of Cornish Cross Meat Birds and Super Excited!

Pics
Woohoo! I got my babies today and so far a success! I chose to pick up at the hatchery because it was less than an hour away. If I had them shipped, due to where I am located, they would have been shipped an hour north to the USPS plant and then back south to me 3 hours away. Just too much stress if you ask me!

This is in the car on the way home. 30 plus our special 1 extra for good measure = 31 babies. (We are excited for the 1 extra because we wanted to start with 25 but ordered 30 for good measure).
lol.png

So, we got home, took each chick out one at a time and dipped their beaks in the water before setting them down. It was really neat how they seemed to just all of a sudden react and take a drink. You could feel their little bodies respond and they got it!

This is after everyone was dunked and a few minutes of shaking the newness off.

They found the food and explored the brooder with no problems. After a few days we will move the waterer over near the back right corner of the brooder where you can see the orange bucket with the nipples to transition them to that watering system if they don't find it on their own.

We weighed 4 of the chicks randomly and they weighed 1.4 oz, 1.5 oz and two weighed 1.7 oz. They were born yesterday and are one day old. We plan to do a weekly weigh in of 4 random chicks.

This was a straight run batch and we can see lots of tiny little combs on many of the chicks. We hope that will make things easier in 8 weeks because it is really hard to believe these little cuties are raised for the table at this point.

Congrats on your new chickens!
I just picked up 36 (ordered 35, plus 1 special) on Monday. This is my second batch this year.
My first batch is almost ready for butcher.

Have fun!

So, a few hours after my fun feather keep away game video, I lost one of the chicks.
sad.png

I was doing the end of the day chicken chores and saw ones of the chicks laying on his back. I helped him turn over and he seemed okay for a bit. In a few minutes, I saw him again laying down with a leg back, looking really not good. I picked him up and he was moving his neck around really in a weird direction every minute or two. There was some odd twitching and at the end, a pretty severe seizure where his body almost jumped out of my hand and then he was gone.

So today I armed myself with Save a chick! I sent my hubby to the store and he brought back Electrolytes and Probiotic mix which i added to their water. I also mixed up some scrambled eggs and served them up. Next time, this will be done on day one! I really don't know why I hesitated on this. I knew about it but everyone seemed so perky. Stupid me!

I can say today everyone seems good and I saw an increase in feed consumption today before the additives to the water and eggs. It surprised me!

I will do a check on them before I go to bed and be sure everyone is tucked in for the night!

Sorry to hear you lost a chick
sad.png

How are the rest doing?
At the end of today, all the 30 remaining are doing fabulous! They are eating, and drinking ( a bunch) and being little chicks. I am believing that this was an isolated incidence. We did have one chick that was a bit smaller and seemed to sleep more than the others. I am believing it may have been the same one. Hard to tell though.

From now on, I will have electrolytes and probiotics in the water and scramble eggs on day one.

I am so happy that everyone else is doing well! One day at a time with these guys for sure.

Good to hear.

With my first batch a few months ago, I had a chick that was much smaller than the rest too. It would eat/drink, but just stood there with its eyes closed, or would huddle with the other chicks. Didn't do anything else, no exploring, no playing. Well it eventually died. Your situation reminds me of this chick.

I agree though, one day at a time.

Back
Top Bottom