Cokerels or Pullets - Oh My! How to tell?

critterkeeper25

Songster
6 Years
Jun 16, 2014
South Jersey - down on the farm.
Hello All, I am sure that this discussion has been on this forum a million times...however, we have 11 straight run Buff Orpingtons and it sure would be nice to figure out exactly how many hens we will be ending up with and how many roosters that we will need to find homes for. I have looked and looked all over on the internet for "how-to's" on figuring out the sex of young chickens. Some say you can tell by the length of the wing feathers and tails. However I have read that it depends of whether or not the breeder is following the fast feathering hen/slow feathering rooster breeding program. I have read that you can tell by the development of the comb/wattle and it's color (red vs. pink) with roosters having the more developed combs/wattles and brighter red. I have read that those with really thick legs usually tend to be roosters. I have read that if you pick your chicken up and it dangles its legs that it's a rooster, if it pulls them up it's a hen. I have read if you hold them on their backs and they stick their legs in the air it's a rooster, legs folded down indicates a hen.
hu.gif
Is their a tried and true way to figure out the sex of a chicken before it either crows or lays an egg? And if not, at what approximate age do cockerels/roosters start to crow? I notice some of the chickens that have more developed combs/wattles running at each other with their feathers on their necks flared out and sort of dancing around and occasionally attacking with their feet. Are these roosters? It seems to be similar to cock fighting behavior. There seem to be a lot of bullies. I am assuming that it's the whole pecking order thing, but maybe it has to do with there being a lot of cockerels in the bunch? Thanks for your help!

Hello All, I am sure that this discussion has been on this forum a million times...however, we have 11 straight run Buff Orpingtons and it sure would be nice to figure out exactly how many hens we will be ending up with and how many roosters that we will need to find homes for. I have looked and looked all over on the internet for "how-to's" on figuring out the sex of young chickens. Some say you can tell by the length of the wing feathers and tails. However I have read that it depends of whether or not the breeder is following the fast feathering hen/slow feathering rooster breeding program. I have read that you can tell by the development of the comb/wattle and it's color (red vs. pink) with roosters having the more developed combs/wattles and brighter red. I have read that those with really thick legs usually tend to be roosters. I have read that if you pick your chicken up and it dangles its legs that it's a rooster, if it pulls them up it's a hen. I have read if you hold them on their backs and they stick their legs in the air it's a rooster, legs folded down indicates a hen.
hu.gif
Is their a tried and true way to figure out the sex of a chicken before it either crows or lays an egg? And if not, at what approximate age do cockerels/roosters start to crow? I notice some of the chickens that have more developed combs/wattles running at each other with their feathers on their necks flared out and sort of dancing around and occasionally attacking with their feet. Are these roosters? It seems to be similar to cock fighting behavior. There seem to be a lot of bullies. I am assuming that it's the whole pecking order thing, but maybe it has to do with there being a lot of cockerels in the bunch? Thanks for your help!

How old are your birds? The visual cues vary depending on age. If they are 6+ weeks of age, you can post pictures in the "What Breed/Gender" forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this and we will gladly take a look and give you some input.

It depends on the age, if we are talking hatchlings then it will have to wait. Many people (including myself) use the wing sexing method, I have had good luck with it. Wing sexing must be done on hatchlings only, there is plenty of info out their on the method. If your babies are older say 4+ weeks then many BYCers can tell from pics. We need comb pics and close up full side views are the best.

Thank you all. I will go out today and take some pictures of them with the best of my ability. Two of the Orpingtons are 10 weeks old and 9 are 8 weeks. They are in the same pen as our 5 Buckeyes, 5 Dominiques, and 4 mixed breed red pullets. It's usually a circus out there when I enter. They all come rushing up to peck at my shoes/clothes/skin etc. They aren't shy. LOL

Thank you all. I will go out today and take some pictures of them with the best of my ability. Two of the Orpingtons are 10 weeks old and 9 are 8 weeks. They are in the same pen as our 5 Buckeyes, 5 Dominiques, and 4 mixed breed red pullets. It's usually a circus out there when I enter. They all come rushing up to peck at my shoes/clothes/skin etc. They aren't shy. LOL
Be sure to take close-ups...ideally a front shot and a side shot if you can!
wee.gif

These are some pics of my Orpingtons. I don't know if I have doubles of some chickens and missed others! They weren't very good models. They kept moving around and were getting under my feet. LOL

Okay, I know that these photos aren't that great. Especially with all of the shadows. If they aren't good enough, maybe I could take them at dusk or early in the morning when the pen is in the shade. Thanks in advance for your help and expertise.

Okay, bright red comb usually indicates a roo, where a pink smaller comb is a pullet (female that is not yet laying). Your pullets combs will turn red when they are close to laying. I see a few roos in the mix but I can't give you numbers without a pic of each or a full group shot, but it is hard to tell on the BR because of the lighting (they just blend in LOL.

If you can get a pic of each bird we can tell you that way. Your BOs are very obvious, all of the ones with the big red combs are males and the others are pullets

You know, I got to thinking back today. Back when the chicks were little, maybe 4 weeks. And I seem to remember that there were 2 BO's that were slow to get their feathers. Every other chick, including the Buckeyes and Dominiques, were getting their feathers but these two BO's. I was saying to my husband that maybe we were going to get lucky and only have 2 roosters in the lot. I guess that I was wrong. I did, however, read a post on the My Pet Chicken forum, that said that the person was sure that they had a rooster. It had the bright red wattle/comb but it ended up laying an egg. I'm sorry....guess that I'm just grasping at straws. It's just that one of those red-combed chickens is my favorite and I don't really want to part with it.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom