Can someone define silver pied to me

Trefoil

Songster
8 Years
Dec 7, 2011
I thought that silver pied was a bird that was more than 50% white, so can someone explain what makes a bird silver pied as opposed to loud pied?

My thoughts on a "Loud pied" is a male whose train is colored making the white eye feathers stand out against the background color of the rest of the tail feathers. My BSSP and PBSSP Peacocks trains are for the most part 100% all white. But I have a three year old up and coming BSSP peacock that is what I consider a "Loud Pied" because of the green background of the rest of his tail feathers.

Here is my Purple BSSP peacock,,in my opinion he is not a loud pied.

This is my 3 yr old BSSP peacock that I consider a "Loud Pied" because of a diffrent background color for his tail

Last edited:
Silver pied = 1 gene White + 1 gene Pied + 2 genes White eyes = 112
Silver pied loud = 1 gene White + 1 gene Pied + 1 gene White eyes = 111

Last edited:
I thought that silver pied was a bird that was more than 50% white, so can someone explain what makes a bird silver pied as opposed to loud pied?

I asked the same question awhile back and the way it was explained to me is the way Dany12 showed it. However, I was told it is possible to have a bird that has 1 white gene, 1 pied gene and 2 white eye genes without it being a silver pied. The "silver" thing, for lack of a better term is not fully understood, in silver pieds the above combination of genes apparently work together to give the feathers on the body a silvered or powdered look. There is white speckled in with the color on many of them. If the bird does not have this silvered or powdered look to it's body and wing feathers it may just be a loud pied white eye. That is how the two were explained to me, hope it makes sense.
smile.png

So can we say that loud Silver pied never shows silver or gray feathers ....?

I've never heard anyone say "Loud Silver Pied" I've heard "Loud Pied" or "Silver Pied" never the 2 combined? I was told by others on this forum that they are different. Loud does not have the gray feathers Silver does have the gray feathers.

Okay. I didn't realize you could have a loud silver pied. Is this right? To be a silver pied a bird has the "silvered" look, caused by gray feathers, its not dependent on how much white it has? What I'm asking, is how to identify whether a bird is silver pied by looking at it.

Last edited:
Silver pied = 1 gene White + 1 gene Pied + 2 genes White eyes = 112
Silver pied loud = 1 gene White + 1 gene Pied + 1 gene White eyes = 111
This is one of the great mysteries of peafowl. There are those that would tell you that the following:

Loud Pied = 1 white gene + 1 pied gene + 1 white eye genes
Pied White Eyed = 1 white gene + 1 pied gene + 2 white eye genes
Split Silver Pied or Loud Silver Pied = 1 white gene + 1 pied gene + 1 silver white eye gene
Silver Pied = 1 white gene + 1 pied gene + 2 silver white eye genes

I am just saying. I make no comments on the truth of it.

Okay. I didn't realize you could have a loud silver pied. Is this right? To be a silver pied a bird has the "silvered" look, caused by gray feathers, its not dependent on how much white it has? What I'm asking, is how to identify whether a bird is silver pied by looking at it.

I didn't think there was such a thing as a loud silver pied either.
idunno.gif
But, yes, to be silver pied they must have the silvered look, and if you look really closely at those feathers it looks like a colored feather that was splattered with a fine spray of white. I don't have a good picture of my male silver's feathers but here is a good pic of one of my silver hens and you can see how gray the feathers on her back look, compared to an IB or IB Pied hen whose feathers are brown in the same area.
From what I can tell, nobody knows how silver works for sure, many theories exist, but none are backed up by actual proof, and everybody has different opinions and they are not afraid to argue the point.
hide.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom