Cleaning the uncubator after a hatch

bbqsfarm

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 3, 2012
I need to clean my incubator and have not done this before. Any recommendations. I want to get it cleaned and start a new hatch. This time with Cortunix, I just hatched bobs.

Vinegar works great. I use bleach most times because my incubator is in my laundry room...

If it's small enough carry it out and put it in the sun for a few hours. UV rays are a great antibacterial.

Get a spray bottle with 1/3 water, 1/3 white vinegar and 1/3 bleach. This solution kills most bacteria.

If you are really paranoid, you can mix up a 10% solution of Ammonia in water. Ammonia kills everything, virus's and all.

Oxine is another really good cleanser, and supposedly it kills everything as well.

OR, red vinegar, non toxic, safe, no mixing and 98% as effective as pure bleach.

And you can drink it...and your birds can drink it.

If you are talking about Apple Cider Vinegar when you say Red Vinegar, you can't use this for cleaning. It is a food product and will grow bacteria from the ingredients in it. Pure White vinegar only.

However ACV is an excellent tonic for all birds and humans as well. :)

If you are talking about Apple Cider Vinegar when you say Red Vinegar, you can't use this for cleaning. It is a food product and will grow bacteria from the ingredients in it. Pure White vinegar only.

However ACV is an excellent tonic for all birds and humans as well. :)

Here is one link of thousands that disagrees with you, I disagree with you because Ive been using it for forty years.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5074652_clean-apple-cider-vinegar.html

The nice thing about white vinegar is that it leaves no residue. ACV does. And if you do not rinse it off really well, when it sits in a warm moist environment like the incubator, it can grow bacteria.

White vinegar is generally cheaper too.

The reason I use red is that I keep it, I use it for everything, my skin, animals skin, animal water, you name it.

It disinfects as well as white and if you spray vinegar and then hydrogen peroxide on any surface, including food.

it will kill MORE bacteria than bleach. White/Red doesn't really matter to me. I've never found residue to be any sort of a problem.

Back
Top Bottom