Baby chicken with bad leg

cragainat

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 1, 2014
Hi, I have a baby chicken with a bad leg. It turns away from the chicken. Its having issues walking and I'm scared it's going to die. What should I do? How can I fix it? Thanks.
UPDATE: Baby chicken died.
1f614.png

Last edited:
Looks like spraddle leg.

I will edit to include a link to a thread about how to fix this if I can find it, but the technique is pretty simple.

Edited to add: http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Get the legs stationary and use a band-aid to tape the legs near each other (not too close, you want the legs to be in a normal standing position.) the bird will have to hobble around for a while and will look funny but in a few days when you remove the bandage you will most likely find that the spradle has corrected itself. It is up to you but I never use spradle or club footed chicks (even if they recover) as breeders. I mark them with a certain color band so as not to forget. They often times end up looking no different than their clutch mates. :)

Good Luck! Your chick is lucky to have someone who cares about it.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I will put the band-aid on the baby chicken today. Thank you once again.

Hello, thanks for asking :) sadly the chick stopped growing. We started hand feeding it then it passed away in my hand :( thanks for asking though. I have 6 baby healthy silkies left :)

Yeah! The others are starting to get feathers and are getting cuter by the minute! Thanks for your help i realy appreciated it. :)

Back
Top Bottom