Muscovy Duck Hatching Chicken Eggs Surrogate Mother Experiment

FreedomFeather

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 24, 2014
Our 8 month old Muscovy female was broody and demanding to hatch whatever was in the nest, even with just a fake egg in there. Coincidentally, a friend gave me 8 fertile chicken eggs and asked if I had a broody hen or incubator. I told her I had a broody duck and would try to hatch them that way.

In our research of Muscovies, we came across information saying they are wonderful mothers, go broody often, and sometimes used to hatch chicken eggs. Although, researching further, we haven't come across much detailed information on the process. It seems as if some people only use them to hatch then take the chicks away.

The two common concerns I came across are:

1) She may accidentally drown them teaching them to swim.

2) She may not recognize them as her own and kill them.

She will have her own pen with the babies once they hatch. We are going to keep a shallow water feeder in their pen to eliminate drowning possibility and watch her closely during the first days that she is okay with them. Any signs of strangeness we will put them in a brooder pen with a heat lamp.

This is her first clutch so she will not have previous experience with ducklings to compare these with.

Unfortunately, something happened to one of the eggs. I checked in the nest two days after she started sitting and there was only 7 eggs and a piece of shell on another egg. We have ground squirrels everywhere and I guess one snuck in her nest during her quick outting for food and water. But now all 7 are going strong for over a week now. They will be due around the 14th of July.

One is a tiny bantam egg and I did read it could cause uneven heating and to be extra careful the tiny bantam doesnt get trampled once hatched.

Does anyone have experience with surrogate muscovies? I would love feedback on this and I will update as the journey continues. She is very determined to hatch them I hope she's not disappointed when they're here!

Mama

7 Eggs

Broken egg shell piece, only evidence of missing egg

Very protective!

I only ever had one instance where a duck (can't remember if it was a Muscovy or not
old.gif
) hatched chicken eggs. Due to the structure of their feet she may break eggs especially as they are pipping. Again, the feet can squash chicks. Biggest problem - if she bathes and the chicks try to brood they may become chilled. If they hatch, limit her water access to drinking water only. Good luck.

I would take the chicks away as soon as they hatch. She will 'accidentally kill' them. There are too many duck factors that chicks are not equipped to deal with.

Good Luck!!

Thanks for the input. Did you let the duck raise the chicks at all or take them immediately? I would love for her to be able to raise them but dont want to jeopardize their safety...... I was thinking take away bathing water and only shallow feeder in their pen. I dont know if I could take her out to bathe every so often, if she will be okay with that or not. We will see!!

I ended up taking the chicks away after a couple were accidentally killed. On the other hand chicken hens can do a great job of raising ducklings.

Ok ... The experiment went over great for the most part. The only problem we had was a squirrel stole two of the 8 eggs. Of the six that were left all of them hatched including the small bantam. She hatched them over two days as we had put half in the nest a day earlier. :D

The second day she hatched the rest and brought them all out the nest. We put a shallow plate of water and some organic chick starter right by the nest box.

Super cute! So happy it worked out for you... what a good mama. I have a very broody Muscovy. I got some duck eggs for her back in May or June and she wouldn't sit on them. Then she made another nest under my shed. I would have tried to get her mor eggs if I could reach her nest. I hope she will give up eventually. I would like to help her hatch some ducklings, but she's not very cooperative!!

Really love your story!

Back
Top Bottom