Coop from old shed?

farmgirl7

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2014
Hanging into Texas
Our ladies are already getting crowded in the coop and run we bought and we need a much bigger home for them. Hubby is not very handy, unfortunately, so we needed something to kick-start the project. My in-law's old house had a shed that my father-in-law kept tools and the lawnmower in. DH and a friend picked it up with the tractor and hay spears and moved it to our back yard...that was a scary trip! The frame is good, but some of the walls will need replaced, as well as the floor. Several panels on the roof will also need replacing. Here's a picture of the old shed. We will be working on it shortly, so if you have any suggestions, please help us out. We want to do it as cheaply as possible, but keep it handy and easy to maintain. The shed is 8' long, 8' wide and 7.5' high at the center. DH is already talking about a few more chickens, should I be worried???LOL!

We live on a farm in southern Oklahoma

That's a pretty good set of bones to start with, maybe block off a couple of feet to act as a storage area for food shavings etc.A few external laying boxes sticking out of the back wall will keep your feet clean when getting eggs. I'm subscribed to see what you choose to do.

Thanks, jetdog! I'm already thinking about some containers to keep feed and other supplies. We went to town and picked up sheets of plywood for the floor and particle board for the walls. I know the particle board that is on there looks bad, but it's been there for at least 35 years. Plywood is very expensive. I swept most of the junk off the floor so I could see how it was put in. It's sandwiched between the floor frame and walls, so we have decided to trim our 4X8's and put them on top of the present floor...which should make a very solid floor. It's about 102* this afternoon, so we decided we would work on the shed in the mornings before it heats up too much because we are older and can't take it like we could when we were younger, LOL!

Our little ladies were hot, too! I put containers of ice in the run and I noticed they were staying near the ice (once they got over being afraid of it) and in the shade...drinking lots of water, too! They were getting cross with each other between the heat and the close quarters.

I'll start posting pictures once there is more to show. Here is one of the ladies in their present home:

That's my feeder. Here's one of several of the gals:

As you can see, there's not room to "run" in the run.

I know what you mean about the heat I hate summer more of a fall and winter type. I'm sure the particle board will look fine with a good coat of paint. If you can get another 35 years out of the new stuff all will be good.

We converted a shed too...was a much better deal than our other actual coop.
Try to think about a way to make lots of ventilation high up on walls that will not be drafty near the roost. We have a wire-covered window that is covered with plywood or flips up on hinges, running the length of each side. I've also seen people just make lots of holes right under the eaves...looks like you have a nice overhang there.
Other handy find was a vinyl sheet remnant at Home Depot...keeps floor dry and we can lift one end up to dump all our dirty bedding right into wheel barrow when cleaning.
Nice start!

There actually are open areas at the top of the side walls. I plan to cover them with hardware cloth. I'm also considering making a door out of particle board and cutting out a window. I would cover the window on the inside with hardware cloth and save the piece I cut out to insert back in during cold or wet weather. I like the vinyl sheet idea! I have considered trying to find some remnant vinyl flooring, but I'm all for "easy"! Our garden is on the other side of this shed, so it will be a short trip with the mess!

Two of my gals got out of the run this afternoon after my DH forgot to lock the gate! They had a wonderful time "free ranging" while "Mama" tried to herd them back in! They were so interested in the outside world they wouldn't even come to my hand with meal worms. They were hilarious and so were the other four. I had to shut them in the coop so I could leave the gate to the run open. Bella finally went in for a drink and her sister followed the meal worm trail on through the gate. The other four lined up in the coop window to watch the show!

Sheds make great coops. My coop started as a 12x16 shed that wasn't fit for storage anymore. I like it that I can easily walk inside, and I have storage area for food, hay, a 6x10 area for chickens, a 6x4 area for ducks plus brooding / hospital crates stacked on the 3rd wall. I would recommend you consider adding windows on both sides, to allow for proper ventilation and to add light. Then you can always add on to the shed as needed. I build a 15x15 run off of one side of mine. Throw a proper coat of paint on it, and you are good to go! If you want inexpensive trim, instead of 1x3's or 1x4's which are pricy, use 1x3 or 1x4 furring strips. They are much much cheaper than regular lumber, and look great. All of the trim on my coop are furring strips. For inexpensive door, buy a wooden screen door - they go for $20, less if the screening is damaged, and replace the screen with 1/2" hardware wire. I added one right behind the right door, so I can secure the screen door to keep predators out, but it still allows full ventilation.

I am a utility shed to chicken coop member myself. The above noted 'bones' look to be just fine for your present needs. I have used a little lean-to on one side of a building for shavings and other chicken storage items. I find floor space to hard to come by to just 'store' bulk items in it.

Your temp is way too hot for me. Don't blame you in the least to shade up later in the day. As I have slowed down some myself, I have had to get used to the idea of just doing something every day, and in time it seems to get done. I can not bull through things as in times past. I suppose that is why we get smarter as we age, to make up for the loss of brute strength.

You have a good start, best to you in your build.

RJ

WOW! What a beautiful coop and run! Thanks for the "furring strip" idea. I'm really gleaning a lot of good ideas. Someone else had suggested a screen door and I will definitely be adding some sort of screen door. Ours probably won't be as nice as yours, but I definitely want it to be functional. My sweetie has been riding his tractor today and spraying pasture. He's also a preacher and does jail ministry at the county jail on Tuesday and Thursday mornings, so hopefully we can cut the floor for the coop Friday morning. I've been freezing peaches and tomorrow I'll make picante from some of the tomatoes we've picked so far, so I should be ready to help him on Friday morning. I'm really getting anxious to start getting it in shape. Keep the suggestions coming!

Back
Top Bottom