HELP!! Need tips on introducing a house duck to an existing outside flock.

mynameisjustjen

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 7, 2013
North Georgia
We are preparing to find Missy, a small female Mallard, a new home and have some concerns.

First, is that we have raised her as a house duck since an adolescent. From a baby she was raised with a flock of about 9 ducks, but when they all migrated but her, we brought her inside. She was not injured and flies well, I think she just preferred all the handouts and humans. She is very comfortable in her harness and diaper inside.

The new home we are looking at is exclusively outside, with other ducks and attentive humans. We are hoping she bonds with the other ducks and not the humans as much, so she can learn to be an outside duck. She follows us inside almost immediately and prefers to be around us(humans) instead of out in nature, although we have no other ducks outside for her.

My biggest concern is at night, as she has been sleeping in our bed or on a pile of clothing on the floor. I am hoping she takes to her new flock and chooses to bond with them to adapt to the wild, although the humans will be present and involved. The flock currently sleeps on an island in the middle of a lake near the new owners home. I am concerned she will sleep on their doorstep and become vulnerable to predators.

Another concern is hierarchy and if they will accept a new duck into their flock or possibly fight. I am uneducated on duck hierarchy in flocks or if it exists at all? She is a small female Mallard and I believe they are larger non migrating ducks.

Please help ease my mind with any information, as I am terrified of loosing her, but want the best for her.

IMO keep her as a house duck. It might be too late to reintroduce to other ducks.. unless you can do it over a few weeks in a secure lockup at night.

If the new home humans are willing to work with her to transition her compassionately, that may be the way to go. But there is a huge change ahead if she is going to be with ducks instead of people. It might be as extreme as if you were confined to a barn with only ducks around, no people, for the rest of your days.

I would start with having her as a house duck in a new house, and then take her into her own pen next to the outside ducks. Give everyone treats. I would start with the duck and me visiting the flock. Many times. Encourage them to interact but not leave them alone together at first. Slow steps.

I would consider choosing a buddy from the flock to house with her for a while so she can get used to being around a duck. Then maybe a couple of duck buddies. Then see how introducing a trio to the flock would go - better, I think, than an individual.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the responses.

We decided to keep Missy and just get her and two new friends and an outside coup. She can still come inside on occasions, and graze in the yard when we are home. I hope she can learn to be happy with ducks outside in a protective pen. Will there be any aggression introducing new ducks? Missy is quite small, but submissive to me.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a breed we should look at? We are hesitant to get more Mallards as they might just migrate and leave her again when roaming free. Likely we will look at some non-flying breeds, but wonder the breeds that are best temperaments. Any hoping to find females only.

Missy and her new runner mix friend Maggie. She was the smallest of the flock we got her from and is acting submissive to Missy. Couple neck bites and poking but I assume that is normal. They are eating and swimming together after an hour together.

She is a runner mix I guess. Her head looks like a runner, but doesn't stand like a runner? Super sweet!

Missy is being awful pokey and pushy to her new buddy. Not to the point of making Maggie squawk, but how long is ok? The new bird is eating and making happy sounds, just want adjustment for her to be smooth. She is away from her flock for the first time....although she was the runt of the litter in her own flock.

Last edited:
I'm glad Missy has a friend.
clap.gif
And I agree with the others about the breed--my runner is the sweetest duck we have. I had a similar situation with her since she was rescued from the canal (someone must have dropped her off and she was the only one that survived--her siblings were all killed by a cat). We had other ducks but when we put her in with some of the younger ducks we had in a brooder at the time, they all tried to corner her, and we were afraid they would kill her, so we decided to keep her inside. I could tell that she was unhappy though because I couldn't let her in the floor with me (we have two big dogs inside) and she would try to climb out of the plastic tub we had her in and she constantly cried. We eventually had to bring one of our other ducks inside as well to treat him for angel wing, so we put the two together. I was worried at first when the two kept grabbing each others' necks, but we let them settle things and after about a day or so, they were inseparable. The runner didn't cry as much and seemed content. We introduced the two together to our whole flock (it was a re-introduction for the angel wing duck) and they all get along just fine now.

If I were you, I would just watch Missy and your runner. I'm sure it's a big adjustment for her to be with another duck after being with only you for so long. And as you have pointed out, it's a big adjustment for the runner as well. They may fight a little bit when they're trying to establish their pecking order (and who knows, Missy could be a little jealous if you're showing attention to the runner). I don't really know how long is too long for you to let them fight it out. How long has it been now that they have been together? Did you just get her today? If you just got her today, I would say to give it a little while longer as they adjust. Hopefully, things will settle down for you. Keep us updated.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom