Hatching assistance - help!!

Strayahen

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Brisvegas Australia
Day 22, we have 7 that hatched yesterday or day before.
But I have 1 egg that made an external pip yesterday (20hrs ago?), this morning it made a second hole, that was an odd shape, and was working hard pecking at shell but not getting anywhere even after many hours. I have also noticed that pip/holes are at wrong end. I should stress that the second hole was further down the egg, all in all it was very weird position. Movement has slowed right down, but I can still see its beak and that it is alive.
My stomach is churning, very nervous.
Do I need to assist? And if so, how when at wrong end? Really don't want to lose the little guy!

Yup, slowly break the shell away from where its beak is. If the membrane is dry and not bleeding make the zip to free the chick. If it is bleeding then stop put it back in the incubator for an hour or so and continue helping. I just had to help a chick in the same situation, the chick is great now! When they pip on the narrow end of the shell, they can't zip, so they will die most of the time if they are left unassisted!

Good luck!

Let us know if he made it!

Last edited:
Oh god! I very carefully zipped, at the last little section some goop came out! Not yellow, clear in colour. I have put back in incubator and he is still chirping. I was very careful not to disrupt membrane but am assuming I must have a little?

I think you are ok unless you hit blood. Even a little blood is ok. Just stop once you spot blood.
Some times a little help is all they need. Others I've had to completely help them. Good luck!

Just went out to the groceries - anything to distract myself :) still alive, but hasn't made any further progress. Will leave it a few more hours I think, before helping further.
I do hope you are right - terrified that I have burst the yolk sac.

Ok, 2 hours since I zipped the egg, chick still alive. I think the goop is the yolk sac though. Still no progress though. Reluctant to assist too much, when and what should I do next (if anything?)
And thanks for the help - feel so anxious for the poor little thing!

If the goop was not yellow it's not the yoke, sounds like the poor thing is upside down. Is this the last egg to hatch of the clutch? Could you tell what position the air cell was in before? I just lost one that I left chirping in the egg, it pipped correctly but couldn't zip, the chick that I helped pipped low, it couldn't get its bulbous head out from under its wing. I just started breaking shell off around pip, slowly, then pulled small part of membrane away, saw small bit of blood stopped for an hour then started at it again with the alternating shell then membrane.

Last edited:
Not sure on where air cell is, but chick had made an external pip about 2pm yesterday, so has been able to breathe.
I can see a yellow tinge to the goop now which is why I suspect it to be the yolk. Egg is sitting on paper towel in incubator, and the goop came out from opposite side to where the beak is sticking out, from the little I can see (don't want to disrupt as I am still hopeful it will live!), there is yellow in it.
There is a couple of other eggs, but no movement or pips from them, so I suspect they won't hatch. So this is the last of the viable eggs.

Back
Top Bottom