Chickens jumping on my back...just to sit and visit

Jajika

Crowing
16 Years
Dec 24, 2007
Northern California
So, OK---here is another "Thema and Louise" story. These two girls are totally unique to me.

Thelma in particular can't get close enough to me. She wants to get as close as possible. She looks at me with great interest...She appears to be a very smart and aware little creature.

Yesterday, I bent over next to their little coop to pick something up. Before I could stand up, Thelma jumped onto my back. Then, Lousie followed suit.

Fortunately I was able to get my husband down to take a picture as this is as crazy as I've ever seen. I've had "smart" and attached chickens before..some follow me around like a little dog...but jumping onto my, nuzzling my hair, etc., is a first.

\

I don't believe it would be dominance behaviour. I've had six of my girls (all at once) jump up onto my back, shoulders, and head. I think they just want to roost ^-^

Thanks for the response.

NO ONE wrote back at all. I was so surprised. I thought tons of people would have something to say. This totally shocked me, but I figured it wasn't a first. Just wanted to hear what others had to say about it?

It's a laugh riot to me. As I said in all of the about 15 years. this has never happened.

So sweet.

I've had a few birds think I make an excellent roost. And honestly, its cute and funny when they're that size, but not so much when they're adults. Or when they get a good flying head start first. Or they have poopy or muddy feet. Or when they land on your bare skin. Or your guests. Or they peck you in the eye when they get up on you.
If this isn't something you want them to be in the habit of, its best to nip it in the bud early. Because once they get it in their minds that this is part of their routine, it'll be much tougher to put a stop to.

Your picture is adorable :) But that's my experience with being a chicken perch, not always funny or cute!

:)

Hi Everyone:

Thanks for letting me know. And yes, "howfunkyisurchicken," you make a good point. After a while it will get to be a problem. At first it was a huge surprise and so sweet. So far, I get a kick out of it. In terms of guests, I don't allow anyone in my chicken yard. Even with shoe coverings, I don't know what these people might carry in in terms of germs etc.

I'll let them out of their yard, even though it's quite large, to go on a "field trip." They get to run around the entire property and explore. They love it. It's wide open so if neighbors happen to come by, it's fine.

It truly surprised me, but I'm not surprised it's happened to others. I couldn't believe I had the only ones. I think they also feel very safe on my, gen that they are new to the flock and still very intimidated by the big girls.

Thanks for the picks and comments. Appreciate it.

I had a flock of eleven up until the other night when a fox came and took all but one hen....(killed my beautiful rooster too and just left him) anyway... Lucky as she is now called, follows me everywhere looking into my face and talking to me... and the minute I sit down she jumps on my knee and snuggles in to me to be petted... I went to the feed store to get her a companion and the guy only had two in there.... not wanting to leave another loner, I took them both, so my flock will remain at three for now... they're all pretty sweet, and just had a first egg from one of the newbies and the shell was sooo soft... poor girl, hope they harden up soon.

So sorry to hear about your loss. It's really difficult. I get very attached to my girls.

Question--what are you doing now to protect the new flock? Do you have a plan to avoid another fox attack?

Back
Top Bottom