Turkey advice

CarnyCat

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2014
In the woods of Ga
Hello all, We just got three Bourbon Red pullets,they are about 4 weeks old. We have them raised off the ground and have them under lights. We live in Georgia and it is very warm here at night .I have a large secure coop with a half acre fenced run and would like to know how soon I can let the babies out. I have never raised turkeys before and welcome any advise from you all. If you know where I can read about rearing turkeys or you just wish to ramble a reply with your personal knowledge it will be greatly appreciated . Thank you Carny Cat

The rule is three months off the ground, but that rule is rarely followed outside commercial settings. A sudden rainstorm and concomitant drop in temp. would not be good if they were out. Our hen hatched poults hit the run on about the 6th day (usually first time one of them is able to fly up and perch on the 48" folding infant fence we use to separate brooding hens and their broods from the toms, in the shed. Have yet to lose any owing to early `ground effect'. So long as you have them back in at dark, they should be fine.

A good reference: http://www.livestockconservancy.org/index.php/resources/internal /turkey-manual

Post up some shots when you get a chance!

Back
Top Bottom