Apple Cider Vinegar and hens

suellen123

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 20, 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida USA
I have been reading some posts about adding apple cider vinegar to chicken water to help aid in keeping the water free of bacteria and thought I might start to do that. I did a little research though and it says that ACV will deplete the stored calcium in your chickens if given in hot weather. As calcium is so important to the hens to prevent egg bound issues I wanted to see if I could get some feedback regarding this. I was thinking about doing a teaspoon to a two gallon water feeder we have a few times a week (3). Do you think it would be better to just wash the container with something that wont hurt the chickens. Also, I have read that a lemon slice in the water will aid in reducing bacteria in the water. I live in Florida where it is hot all the time and I want to make sure that the chickens don't get sick due to the heat and bacteria growth in the water.

There are lots of different idea around ACV some love it, swear by it some are on the fence and some hate it. Its really up to you and what you want, if the benefits out weigh the risk. Personally I never use the stuff, I hate the smell and the chickens hate it to, they refuse to drink it. Also I would rather know that their water was clean and fresh ( being re freshed daily) rather than stinky and acidy and that their calcium absorption isn't being hindered.

I think I will make sure my water feeder is being properly cleaned rather then risking problems with ACV and their calcium. I did read someone puts a slice of lemon in theirs to help with bacteria. Don't know if that works or not but I love lemon in my water, if anything I might try that. You want to do the right thing, and be proactive instead of reactive there is a lot of info out there to digest. I read one thing and then I read another that totally contradicts what I have read...uuuugggghhhhhh lol. After the recent loss of one of my ducks and realizing what a novice I am at all of this I am trying to learn as much as I can about chickens and ducks and diseases. One day my duck was happy and doing great the next day she was gone (rectal prolapse). I am checking everyones feet and butts and what ever I can to make sure we are good.

Also, I have read that a lemon slice in the water will aid in reducing bacteria in the water. I live in Florida where it is hot all the time and I want to make sure that the chickens don't get sick due to the heat and bacteria growth in the water.
The lemon slice would have the same effect on calcium. Lemon and Vinegar are both acidic.

This is the recipe i use for disinfecting things like milk containers or my seed sprouting trays. I use it where a bacteria or fermentation buildup needs to be wiped out before the dishes can be used again. It's considered safe enough for humans that i can use the containers right away after just rinsing.

However, I have never used it on anything chicken. I haven't heard of anyone having to get the bleach out of the tap water before watering the chickens, so it should be safe. If i am wrong someone correct me quickly please.

To use 'Bleach Disinfecting Spray". First wash out your waterier. Use a brush if there is any 'slime' in the waterier, rinse. Then spray the bleach disinfectant on all surfaces. Let set a few minutes, then rinse all the bleach back off before filling the waterier with clean fresh water for the chickens.

Don't use a ready made commercially sold bleach spray product. Use the disinfectant recipe below in a spray bottle. Oh, use non-scented bleach, trust me scented bleach can leave a taste that's hard to get rid of. To get rid of the taste you have to allow the utensil to 'air' to make the taste go away. Nothing quite like fake lemon flavored alfalfa sprouts. Uuugh...

Bleach to water ratio for disinfectant (use old style non-concentrated bleach):
1/2 Cup Bleach per Gallon of water
or
1 1/2 teaspoons bleach per cup of water

Put needed amount of bleach for recipe in a spray bottle, add water. Attach spray bottle top. Shake. Label bottle. Ready for use.

I really appreciate the reply. While a bleach solution will defiantly do the trick I just don't know if that is the way I want to go either. Thank you for the lemon reply though as its back to square one on that too. I think I might try a mild dish soap and a brush to clean my water feeders. I have not had a problem but like I said I am trying to be proactive on the health of all these babies so all these suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you again :0)

I have been reading some posts about adding apple cider vinegar to chicken water to help aid in keeping the water free of bacteria and thought I might start to do that. I did a little research though and it says that ACV will deplete the stored calcium in your chickens if given in hot weather. As calcium is so important to the hens to prevent egg bound issues I wanted to see if I could get some feedback regarding this. I was thinking about doing a teaspoon to a two gallon water feeder we have a few times a week (3). Do you think it would be better to just wash the container with something that wont hurt the chickens. Also, I have read that a lemon slice in the water will aid in reducing bacteria in the water. I live in Florida where it is hot all the time and I want to make sure that the chickens don't get sick due to the heat and bacteria growth in the water.
Just empty and refill the waterers every day then once a week wash them with either soap and water or wash them out with water then wipe them down with 70% Isopropy (rubbing alcohol) and rinse.
Also keep there water in the coop where it will be shaded.

I am trying to be proactive instead of reactive when a problem occurs. There is nothing more heartbreaking than loosing a member of the urban farm or any other pet for that matter. I was also looking today to see how much egg layer food you should feed each chicken. Its funny how a lot of the sites state the answer in lbs. In my world we dish out the kibble by a scoop or cup measure so that's what I need to know the answer in not lbs. I found out today they say 1/2 cup per chicken. I think we may be over feeding. We have a scoop and give them at least 2 scoops a day between 8 chickens. I need to go measure how many cups to a scoop now lol. Suellen

It depends on what you are feeding, the size of the chook the temp outside and if they free range/ get other scraps. I use a large pot and see, if its all eaten by lunch then its not enough, heaps left then its to much. Mine free range and get extras each day of scraps and fruits/vegetables but they also get good feed of pellets, mash, scratch and aviary seed in the morning so I guess it would be 3/4 of a cup per each of my birds? Less so in summer when they don't need as much food since they don't need to burn much keeping warm

I was also looking today to see how much egg layer food you should feed each chicken. Its funny how a lot of the sites state the answer in lbs. In my world we dish out the kibble by a scoop or cup measure so that's what I need to know the answer in not lbs. I found out today they say 1/2 cup per chicken. I think we may be over feeding. We have a scoop and give them at least 2 scoops a day between 8 chickens. I need to go measure how many cups to a scoop now lol. Suellen
The reason the feed measurements are in pounds is because that is the correct way to measure out feed. (for all animals)
When you measure by weight you get the correct amount every time, where with volume you can be feeding more or less than the animal needs depending on the size of the feed and or feedstuff at the time of feeding. Example; 1 cup of crumble, 1 cup of pellet and 1 cup of mash all weigh differently so if I feed a mash feed and tell you that I feed a 1/2 cup of feed then you go and feed a 1/2 cup of pellets your birds are getting less feed than mine. Also unless you are feeding a mash feed the size of feed being fed can change from bag to bag and even within a single bag depending on how that bag of feed was stored and or treated.

I see this a lot in all forms of livestock people wanting to know how cups or scoops should I feed, and it is far from being a good practice.

Back
Top Bottom