Killer Raccoons

Cipher12

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 15, 2014
I am at wits ins dealing with a very expensive encounter with many raccoons. Since First of May, I have lost 139 chickens and 34 ducks due to KILLER RACCOONS. I have shot a total of 14 raccoons since Mid May and thought I had the problem solved. Then in the last 2 days I lost 32 ducks. They were killed for sport by this coon. That's Right, Just one Big Raccoon has done this damage on the Ducks. Raccoons have cost me over $1000 in lost Chickens and Ducks.

Wow—that is quite depressing. You could try night vision and shooting the coons when they come in at night. Other than that, the only way that you may be able to have chickens and ducks is in an enclosure with a concrete bottom (with dirt over it), very sturdy fencing (half inch hardware cloth) and a very strong cover. I'm guessing you haven't had any success at live trapping the terrorist raccoon. A game camera will tell you the coon is in the area, but you still are going to have to get him before he kills the chickens and ducks.

I wish you luck.

I've been having a fox problem. Same thing. I think I'm safe at one point in the day and then that's when they come. Smart sneaky animals. Sorry for your loss. I've only lost 35.

I have had this problem too. But it's a good time to call them up because it's mating season! I have shot 6 in two days. They are mean little farts!

Studies have shown that shooting predators like raccoon and coyotes can actually makes the problem worse. When you kill one, two or three more will take over the territory of the old one. I suggest making your coop or enclosure more secure. Aim for making it nearly bear-proof. Also, be sure to tightly secure feed in airtight containers and try to clean up excess feed on the ground.

In my experience (relatively limited), once any predator like a raccoon takes a duck, you need to take that predator out permanently. They aren't stupid, if they got a meal in a certain spot and it was as tasty and defenseless as a duck, they are going to come back every day or two until the meals are all consumed. I've tried tightening up security after a predator attack, and those **** raccoons are smart and persistent once they know there is food on the other side. Had one climb through two strands of very hot wire, and over a 8' tall very tight fence after discovering that the shocks weren't nearly as bad as the food was good.

I'll take my chances on the new ones moving in being naive enough to not brave the fences. I'll only kill the ones that visit my coop after I've lost a duck. I use live traps baited with tuna fish (I wire the tuna fish can right to the trip lever). I hate doing it, but once the raccoon is in the trap, the trap goes into the pond until the problem is solved. A gun would be quicker, but I don't have a firearm big enough to reliably dispatch a raccoon so the water is probably more humane.

My best predator deterrent so far is my two labs. They are inside most of the time but I make sure they poop and pee in the yard around the ducks. Seems to work in keeping the predators away and I am right next to some woods. Barring that, Guineas I understand also can make good guard dogs as they would all but wake the dead when predators are near. My enclosure for them at night is fairly secure though and would take some major effort to get into it, even for me! Good luck and hope one of the above solutions works.

Back
Top Bottom