Greetings! First timer from chicken-friendly Burbank, CA!

nljohnson

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 20, 2014
Burbank
Hi everyone! I'm doing the prep work to eventually start my flock within 2 years. Can you tell I'm a bit nuts about masking sure my family is truly ready for this investment? My 9-yr old daughter is very excited, but is 9. In order to get her engaged, I told her she has to help me build and paint the gardens and coop, as well as make an outdoor hutch for her bunny as practice. I have some great plans to work in our space.

Can't wait to glean even more advice than I have while being a lurker, here! :)

I had no idea "Burbankians," could have chickens. Maybe you should speed it up and get them now before they change the laws. Welcome to BYC

I was amazed that I could have 8 hens without any need for approval and up to 25 as long as inspection shows them 35 feet away from a residence. A bonus is that they don't count toward your licensed animals total! I thought that was pretty reasonable.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I wish more people would take so much care in preparing before they get their birds! Have you browsed the Learning Center yet?

Welcome to BYC! A lot of us were lurkers before joining. Congratulations, that is really surprising about Burbank allowing hens. Do you have a breed preference?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Good luck with all these projects!

Make yourself at home and enjoy this new journey you are on with your daughter!

Thank you to everyone who took the time to welcome me!

[COLOR=333333]Welcome to BYC [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]:frow [/COLOR][COLOR=333333] [/COLOR]I wish more people would take so much care in preparing before they get their birds! Have you browsed the Learning Center yet?

I have! So many great articles! I've been lurking on the beginners forum and the chicken photos, too!

Welcome to BYC!  A lot of us were lurkers before joining.  Congratulations, that is really surprising about Burbank allowing hens.  Do you have a breed preference?

Burbank is a post-war community, so I'm not surprised that it's in their law books. I'm looking at getting a few breeds. I'd like some heritage breeds, just because it's nice to make people aware that all chickens aren't Foghorn Leghorn. I'd like an austrolorp, a Dominique, a barred rock, a true auracana, a lavender Orpington, and a few others.

Welcome to the flock - I admire your willpower if you manage to wait two more years before you have birds..........

Yeah. That's a hard one. We'll see how it plays out. We do have a coyote or two that are occasionally spotted on our block (and we live far enough down in an area that means they are desperately wandering for prey,). We also have raccoon and possum, so I need to build a good solid structure before we can start.

Back
Top Bottom