Anyone had problems using a duck to hatch chicken eggs? And can she sit again?

DrChickenKev

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 5, 2011
Hello

Looking for some advice

I had a muscovy duck set on some bantam eggs for over 21 days but none have hatched - it's now day 25 so definitely none hatching. I have been advised (?) that as ducks give their eggs a short cooling off period daily, and which apparently chickens do not, the changes in temperature could affect hatching.

Has anyone had experience of using ducks to set on chicken eggs before? Or know of their cooling off period?

Also should I let the duck rest before setting her again, or will she be able to set on another nest straight away (she comes out daily to eat, drink and poop)? If so any idea on 'rest' time?

Thanks in advance

I've never had a duck sit on chicken eggs but I've had chickens raise turkeys and chickens raise ducks with no issues. Chickens most certainly DO take a break every day during which the eggs will cool, so I don't think that would be the issue in the eggs not hatching, especially at this time of year (assuming you are in the northern hemisphere). It is more likely that either the eggs were not fertile or that the duck contaminated them by walking through poopy bedding on her way back and forth to the nest.

Wow that is different as ducks do get off every day and also get wet and if possible the ducks will make like a seal around the nest with what is available even dirt as they use their beak to pull in the sounding soil and I have never seek a chicken do it like a duck ....

Wish you luck in this so please keep us updated as anything is possible .....

chickens do get off the nest every day. I think the difference is a duck will go for a swim, so her eggs are maybe cooler when she returns, from the water. Likely more humid, also.

I did have a duck hen set on chicken eggs years ago. I was not home when she hatched, and she brooded in a place very visible to the cats
sad.png
. It appeared the clutch hatched (around 8 eggs, if I recall) but we only had 2 babies when we returned. We did pull them from her to brood them, though, as she was getting adamant about them getting in the water.

Last edited:
Wish you luck in this so please keep us updated as anything is possible .....

Well, as requested, a little update

Unsurprisingly there were none that hatched and I took the eggs away last weekend - when I candled them all only one had a dark patch, the others looked empty, so I think I might have been sold some dud eggs

Anyway, 'mother' wasn't happy when she discovered her nest had been emptied, but hopefully I can give her a rest and maybe try again before the end of the year

Sorry no pics of fluffy chicks this time round!

Back
Top Bottom