Indian runners, seasonal or all year long layers?

PatRN

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013

I have tried to read tons of info on the runners and most agree that they are great layers and can lay 150 to 365 eggs a year depending on what you read. I asked the lady at Cackle hatchery and she said they are seasonal layers so now I am really confused. They are almost 4 months old and I need to know if I should watch out for eggs soon or not till spring. If they are seasonal, what is the "season?"

Lastly, ok probably not but for tonight,. My two female runners have changed colors (you can see one in pic) but what we think of as drakes are all white, Seems normal right but as I am looking at the pictures of the runners I have noticed that mine are not upright like penguins, but more horizontal like the two Pekins we have. In fact to tell the Pekins from the white runners I have to compare bills and feet. Have I been hoodwinked ,did the breeder give me the wrong ones?

Last edited:
Hatchery quality runners often don't have the perfect upright bottle stance. Some are definitely heavier, too.

My runners laid nonstop for fourteen months, took a couple months off, laid for another fourteen months or so, took three months off, laid for nine months, took four months off, and now it's about seven months laying, five months resting.

I would not call them seasonal layers, but I am happy mine rest in the winter and early spring. Because when they are laying, I mean it is almost every day. They need to rest.

Back
Top Bottom