heartland vs cackle

Athena116699

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 2, 2014
Hello, getting my first chicks like tomorrow...well either getting or ordering. I have heard a lot of good things about Cackle and came very close to already ordering...but then sending chicks threw mail sounds scary...on the other hand I just live down the road from Heartland Hatchery and don't really know much about them. I have read some neg reviews...but I have talked to them and they sound nice. Anyone know much about them...would it be better to just go get my own babies...or go ahead and mail order from Cackle??

You definitely don't want to go with someone with such a bad reputation.

Sick birds are a never ending battle that will have you throwing your hands in the air ready to give up before you get your first egg!

Healthy chickens are worth the investment. It is better to have healthy chick's shipped than to go and pick up possibly sick chickens, then possibly infecting your home and land for all eternity with whatever nasty thing that you would really be better off without ever even knowing how to spell its name.

You definitely don't want to go with someone with such a bad reputation.

Sick birds are a never ending battle that will have you throwing your hands in the air ready to give up before you get your first egg!

Healthy chickens are worth the investment. It is better to have healthy chick's shipped than to go and pick up possibly sick chickens, then possibly infecting your home and land for all eternity with whatever nasty thing that you would really be better off without ever even knowing how to spell its name.
Has Heartland been having health issues?

My concern with them would be they seem to only sell straight run birds, except for the sex-links. If you're okay with straight run, I guess it's okay. All other things being equal, it would be better to pick up chicks vs mail them. But, having a bunch of roosters you have no use for is no good, either.

Has Heartland been having health issues?

My concern with them would be they seem to only sell straight run birds, except for the sex-links. If you're okay with straight run, I guess it's okay. All other things being equal, it would be better to pick up chicks vs mail them. But, having a bunch of roosters you have no use for is no good, either.
I ordered from Cackle, and all 16 chick's (including the extra) are still alive and kicking. No losses due to shipping. I've sold quite a few of them now but I miss them :(

I am new to chickens. I bought our first 6 Cochin bantams from Heartland and I haven't had an ounce of issues. That was back in may. We have enjoyed them so much that about 3 weeks ago we bought 6 more pullets. 2 black sex links, 2 Brahmas and 2 silver phoenix. Both times that we purchased them, the same gentleman was there and I found him to be very polite which I'm sure can be daunting considering I have probably asked some stupid questions.

I've never heard of Heartland, but I did recently receive an order of guinea keets from Cackle (keets seem to have a reputation for being extremely fragile). I ordered 15, they sent 16 and everyone arrived full of energy and in good health. I haven't lost a single one!
If you can drive and pick up your chicks, Heartland is probably a very good option for you. But, it sounds like you'd have to compromise on having your chicks sexed. When I order, I usually go with whoever has the breeds I'm looking for. I would probably still order through the mail vs driving if I was looking for something specific or wanted sexed chicks though.

Good luck!

Well to update...I went to Heartland down the street from me. It was a great experience!
big_smile.png
I wanted Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, and maybe a Wyandotte...
hu.gif
. I got to go in and see all the chicks...my so many...so many questions....
ya.gif
I got two RIR, two Wyandotte, and he said Golden Comets are a good choice So I got one of them.
celebrate.gif
The Buffs weren't sexed yet, so I thought I'd wait for that....then he gave me one just because.
yesss.gif
He was very helpful explaining all the details I kept asking. So today they are two days old and doing great...I am the one having problems..
roll.png
.It is sooo hard to keep my hands off of them...they are soo cute.
jumpy.gif
I put a mirror in with them and they are already showing personalities. I love them and can't believe it is so like love at first sight. I just can't remember which is the Comet and the Buff.
hmm.png
One is pure golden white and the other is smaller with a couple strips of yellow gold going down her back. Oh yes they were sexed too...except for the Buff....I thinks she's a girl tho. I am so happy.
love.gif
wee.gif

Healthy new chicks make a lot of people around here happy as well. I just got some from Cackle a week ago, they were just fine by me. But you have made your choice and now is the time to bask in the glow of being a new chick mom. A fun time for all.

Hope your flock does well,

RJ

Last edited:
I have ordered from cackle, it was funny because i was at work and living in a small town the people at the post office knew me so when they came in I got a call the chick's were peeping and driving them crazy. Lol but all of them were fine.

Back
Top Bottom