So bummed.

HippieGurl

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 11, 2014
Since Sunday, I've lost four of my guineas! Something is grabbing them in the day. They free range around my house, I've got a lot of land, but it is bordered by woods on all sides. They like to go out and perch on dead logs and today I was looking for them around 11, and only four showed up.. I can't believe something would just snatch them in the day but I guess it has happened. What's weird is the other four are dead silent now. Not a squawk or anything. I have searched and searched but there are absolutely no feathers whatsoever. At this rate, I'm going to be guinealess in a day or two. :( Just had to vent, I love my silly guinea birds.

I hate your babies have disappeared. ...
Within a week I had 8 grown hens gone during the day time...no feathers or signs of them anywhere.
2 days ago I saw a coyote coming up thru the orchard where we live.i figure he was coming back for more..only wish I had had my gun with me..thinking he was the culprit. ..but could only scare him off.
If you put your guineas up at night you might want to keep them up for a few days as it probably has stressed them out...but if free rangers like many of us just keep your eyes open.
Again...ssorry for your loss.

Thanks! I do put them up at night and they free range during the day. They usually stay out until almost dark, but I put them up early tonight. They are NOT happy either :). We have coyotes all around and I saw a half grown fox in the edge of my yard a couple of weeks ago. We have roaming dogs in the neighborhood, too. It could have been any of these I guess. Question: it couldn't be a possibility that they are nesting, could it? They are about 4 months old.

Last edited:
Best of lucky to you!! I'm so sorry for all that trouble. You can always let them free range again and go out with a gun and follow them see if anything comes out

Like you, I lost all of mine (4) within a week, all during the day (they went in to the coop at night) and the last one within 10 minutes of when I last spotted her. Only once did I find any feathers or sign. Interestingly they were all hens, my neighbor's males that hung around with them, came through unscathed. (Now the males come down each day and call for the females.) I spotted a fox making a try for one of my free-ranging chickens a few days later and suspect it was the culprit. It is one of those things that will happen because they tend to range into the brush and woods where they can get ambushed. Fortunately I had a dozen eggs so put them in the incubator--hopefully I'll have a hatch of replacements in about a week.

One thing of note: I began free-ranging the guinea last year. Prior to that I was removing a tick from my 2 outdoor cats about once a week. This year, once the birds were free in the spring, I haven't seen a tick. Maybe luck but I do think they've made a difference so I'll continue to keep them around.

Hello:

Start looking for dens around your wooded areas. I can almost bet you are dealing with a fox. They LOVE Guiea and Chicken and hunt them with precision.
No feathers or even a hint of a kill. They are silent and cunning.
You will never see them and if you have a dog, let it go, put your birds up for a week and hope for the best.
Usually a fox will stop comming around if a dog is present and the birds are gone.

Hope this helps:
Guinea Goonie

LOL--I live surrounded by woods on 3 sides so finding the fox den would be a challenge. I did, however, spot one when it made a try for one of my hens, The difference between the chickens and the guineas seems to be the chickens have a better sense of self-protection. Once one spies a fox or hawk they not only raise a ruckus but head for safety--the roosters collect them in a protected spot. On the other hand the last guinea hen I lost was with a cock and I never knew she was taken until I saw the cock alone, calling for her. Given that was about 10 minutes after I last saw the two together she hadn't been gone that long. She could fly for crying out loud. Also, I could shut down the commissary by penning the birds up--I have a secure run--except the guineas fly out of it. I don't think they are the brightest bulb on the string.

Back
Top Bottom