Just culled my first chicken...never again

Vkpogose08

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 11, 2014
Illinois
My beloved hen... Yea we think of our chickens as pets.... Was eight years old and we had to make room for some new layers. Hubby and I decided it would be most comfortable for her if we did it ourselves. Let me just say NEVER again! I feel so guilty and so bad for her. Everything went smooth, se felt no pain but the flopping around after is something I will never get over. So with tears streaming down my face, we buried her. Rip tulip:(

The flopping can be unnerving if you aren't prepared for it. And sometimes even if you are... Just remember that you did the best thing for your chicken and she didn't suffer.
hugs.gif

I've only done it once, DH wasn't home and this poor bird was suffering too much to wait until he returned. I'm not a person who can't kill things, but if I do it bothers me and stays vivid in my memory. DH is fine with it but takes no joy in it.

I'm sorry you had to do that. 8 years is a long time to own a chicken. I'm sure it was hard to do, but you made the right decision. Know that it may have been harder on you, but it was the best thing you could have done for her.
hugs.gif

Killing cones are the best, minimal movement, the bird is contained within the cone and its a lot easier on those not used to culling chickens.. Although DH usually takes care of the hard part of raising our animals for food, once he set up the cone I do not have a problem using that.

8 years old?What a lucky chicken to have you!You gave that chicken a better life than 99% of the people in the world could.Millions of chickens live much much shorter lives than you gave her.And a better quality of life too.Dont be sad,be proud !

Back
Top Bottom