Another reason to raise your children on the farm

KristyHall

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
North Alabama
Children on dairy farms run one-tenth the risk of developing allergies; Dairy farm exposure also beneficial during pregnancy
Date:
July 9, 2014

Source:
University of Gothenburg

Summary:
Children who live on farms that produce milk run one-tenth the risk of developing allergies as other rural children. According to researchers, pregnant women may benefit from spending time on dairy farms to promote maturation of the fetal and neonatal immune system.

140709095620-large.jpg
Children who live on farms that produce milk run one-tenth the risk of developing allergies as other rural children.
Credit:
00a9.png
Ror / Fotolia
[Click to enlarge image]

Children who live on farms that produce milk run one-tenth the risk of developing allergies as other rural children. According to researchers at The University of Gothenburg in Sweden, pregnant women may benefit from spending time on dairy farms to promote maturation of the fetal and neonatal immune system.
The occurrence of allergic diseases has risen dramatically in Western societies. One frequently cited reason is that children are less exposed to microorganisms and have fewer infections than previous generations, thereby delaying maturation of the immune system.
A study by researchers at Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, monitored children until the age of three to examine maturation of the immune system in relation to allergic disease. All of the children lived in rural areas of the Västra Götaland Region, half of them on farms that produced milk.
Lower risk of allergy
The study found that children on dairy farms ran a much lower risk of developing allergies than the other children.
"Our study also demonstrated for the first time that delayed maturation of the immune system, specifically B-cells, is a risk factor for development of allergies," says Anna-Carin Lundell, one of the researchers.
Need for additional studies
Children with an allergic disease at the age of 18 and 36 months had a higher percentage of immature B-cells in their blood circulation at birth and during the first month of life. Additional studies are needed to corroborate the correlation between delayed B-cell maturation during the neonatal period and the risk for subsequent development of allergies.
The Gothenburg researchers will start off by examining children as they turn eight.
"We need to identify the specific factors on dairy farms that strengthen protection against allergies and appear to promote maturation of the immune system as early as the fetal stage," Ms. Lundell says.

Story Source:
The above story is based on materials provided by University of Gothenburg. The original article was written by Krister Svahn. Note: Materials may be edited for content and length.
Journal Reference:
  1. A.-C. Lundell, S. Johansen, I. Adlerberth, A. E. Wold, B. Hesselmar, A. Rudin.High Proportion of CD5 B Cells in Infants Predicts Development of Allergic Disease. The Journal of Immunology, 2014; 193 (2): 510 DOI:10.4049/%u200Bjimmunol.1302990
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/07/140709095620.htm#.U8QYKNQD5iY.facebook

Cuts Crohn's disease risk in half. Eating low-fat yogurt during pregnancy associated with higher risks of asthma? They weren't sure if it was the yogurt or the lifestyle of women who ate low-fat yogurt.

Though another study showed growing up on a livestock farm *may * increase the risk for blood cancers with poultry possibly conferring the highest risk. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110727204414.htm

Cuts Crohn's disease risk in half. Eating low-fat yogurt during pregnancy associated with higher risks of asthma? They weren't sure if it was the yogurt or the lifestyle of women who ate low-fat yogurt.

Though another study showed growing up on a livestock farm *may * increase the risk for blood cancers with poultry possibly conferring the highest risk. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110727204414.htm
the blood cancer article made me wonder, they looked at death certificates for cause of death. I wonder if their population was not more likely to get a blood cancer, but more likely to die of a blood cancer. I don't know much about how death certificates are filled out. I had leukemia in 2013, should be declared cured in 2018. when I die in, say, 2055, is leukemia going to be anywhere on my death certificate? not sure how flawed the study is that way. may show more of a flaw in their rural population having decreased access to healthcare, who knows?

I've heard that an over-sterilised modern lifestyle is pretty much the reason behind allergies and other "western" diseases. It's important to clean kids up, but let them play outside in the dirt as well, even if it's just in the garden or at the park :D

Back
Top Bottom