Wild turkey egg? Help please!

sbolevic

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 2, 2013
the TARDIS
So, our house is in the woods. We found a large brown-ish white egg (about the size of a chicken egg) near the tree line. It looks like a turkey egg(?), and wild turkeys are constantly walking around that area. But it didn't look like it was in a nest, and I couldn't find any other eggs around it, or a nest it could have rolled out of. It's been there overnight (we get skunks and tons of squirrels who used to go after our eggs) and hasn't been eaten by anything, which makes me think a bird might have been sitting on it? But I couldn't find any feathers or bird tracks, and no other eggs were laid. If it is a turkey egg, I'd like to hatch it, but we have no incubator and we only have 2 male guinea fowl, so no hens to sit on it. It feels warm, but we've had some pretty hot weather, so it doesn't necessarily mean something's been sitting on it. We also don't have any neighbors who keep turkeys, except for a farm that's on the same road, just a long way away. I can't stand to just see it it there and not do anything about it- What should we do?

(Pictures of the egg and where is was found)

We tried candling the egg. I've never candled an egg before, so I can't tell. We thought we saw a shadow in the egg earlier, but it's not visible in this photo, so I'm not sure. Is it infertile? (The smudges are dirt)

I
We tried candling the egg. I've never candled an egg before, so I can't tell. We thought we saw a shadow in the egg earlier, but it's not visible in this photo, so I'm not sure. Is it infertile? (The smudges are dirt)
its infertile the shadow you see is a yolk if i were you i would dispose of it.

thanks! We got rid of the egg. I'm still confused by how it got there though... our best theory is that it might have been dropped by a predator who was trying to steal it.

Of course the veining would come after it has been incubated for a few days. I think a predator may have dropped it off as you said.

Back
Top Bottom