On the Home Stretch Now!

iwiw60

Crowing
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Central Oregon
I've been trying to complete my chicken run for what seems like forEVer. Tomorrow morning early (before the heat) I have one...last...metal roofing panel to install and the roof is DONE. The only two things left to do is build the run door and the pop hole.

As a lot of you know I'm 70 years old, single gal, don't hardly know squat about building, but I AM going to get the door built tomorrow, too. Here's what I've got: where the doorway is located it is 31.5" ID between the two landscape posts. I've already got the sill plate (a 2x4) in at the bottom and the top sill plate is the 2x4 that's running along the top edge. SO! The way I figure it, if I take a 2x4 and screw it in to the insides of those posts, then screw in a 2x2 as a 'stop' my door, which is a leftover from the RV should fit....does that sound about right? I'm putting the 'stops' to the rear edge of the 2x4's (when standing at the doorway looking into the run) as I want my door to be an "outy".

What is the best type latch system I should use on the door? And should I put two latches on...one about 2' down from the top and the other one about 2' from the bottom?

All replies/help most appreciated...and thanks!
caf.gif

Hope you post some pictures of this coop I've been hearing about? I used gate latches with a caribeaner through the hole. 2of them is not a bad idea either just make sure you connect a string to the top of the latch and to the inside of the run so you don't get locked in, I learned the hard way luckily I had my cell phone and called my wife to let me out. Lol

Hope you post some pictures of this coop I've been hearing about? I used gate latches with a caribeaner through the hole. 2of them is not a bad idea either just make sure you connect a string to the top of the latch and to the inside of the run so you don't get locked in, I learned the hard way luckily I had my cell phone and called my wife to let me out. Lol
lau.gif
If that happened to me I'd have to call my little chihauhau Zoe, and somehow I don't think she'd be tall enough to let me out!!
gig.gif

Pics will come when it's all said and done.

That's awesome - congratulations!

I'm maybe not the best to give advice on building doors. I put my door together by laying everything out on the carport like a jigsaw puzzle until I finally figured out how to get enough screws in to hold it all together. For a DIY door, I was quite shocked when I accidently got a nice snug fit, lol!

I just used a heavy duty post latch (think it's called a hasp latch?) with a carabineer clip. So far one's enough because I have stop blocks inside (top & bottom, just 2 x 4 scraps) so the door can't be pushed in. I was worried about one latch too, and something pushing & squeezing in at the bottom corner. The stop blocks prevent that.

Mine's an "outy" too, and the only thing I'd recommend is put a door handle on BOTH sides of the door. That way you can pull it closed behind you when you go in. I've got one who has recently turned into an escape artist. If I don't pull the door closed I end up chasing her around the yard, lol!

UPDATE!! I finished building the nest boxes last week and the only daunting task left was (notice the past-tense?) building the roost/poop tray. We have been having sweltering heat here this week, temps 95+ and the humidity is AWful, but I got up this morning early, put my 'work clothes' on and headed out to the chicken run to work...my girls love watching me..it's so funny. This is what I copied for mine:

I made mine just like it except for two things: 1) I extended the four corners up to roost-height, then put a cross-piece in each end of 2x4 to hang one of those 2x4 hanger thingies, and 2) used a 2x4 laying flat across for the roost....the one in the picture is quite long but as I only have 5' to work with I made mine 50" long by 28" wide. I ended up making my 4 corner uprights 44" tall so that I have plenty of room underneath to put their waterer and the sick/broody dog crate....I'm so proud of myself I could spit!!
wee.gif
My camera is on the fritz right now but I will post pics of the coop and the never-ending build of the run, etc.....promise!
frow.gif
frow.gif
frow.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom