How best to trap a fox?

kimthom66

Songster
8 Years
Apr 24, 2013
Southeastern CT
Saw a fox two days ago and this morning one of my hens was gotten by it, didn't see it but lots of feathers and it was about 10am so it was broad daylight. I am borrowing a trap but need to know what best to bait it with? I read some use live chicks but not sure I wanna go that route? I know they would be somewhat safe in a separate compartment but I am still not sure of that idea? Any other suggestions?

We're having major fox problems here as well. My neighbors have been catching them with wet dog food. We've tried the same, with no such luck. They are TRICKY devils and let me tell you, it WILL be back. Guard your birds well. I'm afraid to let mine free range at the moment after we have lost so many. We've actually resorted to sitting outside with our rifles and waiting. I hope you have better luck than us!
smile.png

Traping a fox is easy. Just got to the mall find the most expensive pair of high heels, buy them then set them in a closet with a door that locks from the outside. Watch you bait carefully once your fox goes into the closet run and close the door and lock it. Your Fox is caught lol. Thats how i caught my Fox.
lau.gif

We're having major fox problems here as well. My neighbors have been catching them with wet dog food. We've tried the same, with no such luck. They are TRICKY devils and let me tell you, it WILL be back. Guard your birds well. I'm afraid to let mine free range at the moment after we have lost so many. We've actually resorted to sitting outside with our rifles and waiting. I hope you have better luck than us!
smile.png
Saw it again last night at dusk.. We now have the gun waiting by the door! If we see him again tonight I hope to get him! I also read somewhere that KFC chicken works really well! Going to try that! Last night we used sardines but did not catch anything! Chickens are in the run during the day and locked up in coop at night and I will only free range when I am out with them! Which isn't easy to do as they like to scatter and wander and then to get them back in isn't easy!

You should call Fish and Game so they can set up traps for you before you decide to shoot a natural predator. If it was a stray dog then i would not thing twice to shoot it but as a natural wild predator i would keep that to my very last resort because you dont want to mess up the ecosystem by destroying part of it. I dont know where you live but in my state there are certain wildlife you cannot harm even if they are attacking your livestock. Such as the Redtail Hawk and Kit Fox.

Saw it again last night at dusk.. We now have the gun waiting by the door! If we see him again tonight I hope to get him! I also read somewhere that KFC chicken works really well! Going to try that! Last night we used sardines but did not catch anything! Chickens are in the run during the day and locked up in coop at night and I will only free range when I am out with them! Which isn't easy to do as they like to scatter and wander and then to get them back in isn't easy!
Sounds like you're in the same boat I'm in. All in all, the threat must be stopped. As long as it knows it will have easy meals, it will not leave. If it's a female, she'll probably think, "Hey, free food! This will be a great spot to raise a family." And then you'll have litters of them running around, just as I have. I've been letting the flocks out on supervised range in the evenings while I sit outside. Best case scenario would be that the fox will see that he/she isn't getting any food, and will just move on. Let me know if the KFC works. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom