Country girl from Michigan

jgoodwin

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
Michigan
Hello everyone my name is Jenna and I am new to this site. I have 9 bantam chickens 4 of them are hens and 5 of them are roosters also I have a pullet hen to add into my flock. In my flock I also have 4 pekin ducks. I would like to add some silkies to my flock as well.

Yes I do and would like to add to my flock as well. We are currently in the process of building a shed for them and it should be finished by the end of the week.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Welcome to BYC, Jenna! Glad you decided to join our flock. You need to either add some more hens to your flock, or else cull some of the roosters out of it. The recommended ratio is 10 hens for every 1 rooster. Too many roosters will lead to aggression, fights, battered and over-bred hens, and injuries (even serious or life threatening ones). Make sure if you keep your flock in an enclosed run, that you have plenty of space (at least 10 sq. ft. per bird) as overcrowding can also lead to the same problems (even among hens) that too many roosters can lead to. Also I would not advise keeping the ducks, if your have any male ducks, in the same flock as your chickens as male ducks are built differently than roosters and can seriously injure hens if they try and mate with them (which they do sometimes). If you have any questions, feel free to post them on the forum and I'm sure you'll get lots of replies. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Thank you Michael I appreciate your advice but my ducks and chickens are inseperable they have been together since one week old and prefer to stay together. In regards to my hen to rooster ratio I am aware of the correct ratio I should have and I will be getting more hens but at the time there was no way to tell what I would be purchasing when they were chicks.

Back
Top Bottom