Introducing New Pullet

RS16017

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 13, 2014
I have a young Barred Plymouth Rock that I feel is about ready to join the flock. She's as big as my Americanas but I worry she's not coop smart to stay out of the way of my dominant Rode Island Red. Is there a secret to getting them together or does she just have to take her knocks from the older hens?

Put her in a wire cage inside the coop for a hour or so that way the other girls will get use to her then let her out of the cage and watch them to make sure there not picking on her to much. There will be some adjusting in the pecking order so dont remove her unless they are really hurting her.
jumpy.gif

If you are going to use the playpen method it is better to put her in the cage for a few days. If you free range you can after the few days let her out during the free range with the others. The more space you have during the introduction the better it will go. Yes she will have to take her lessons from the other hens. Since she is the only one being introduced the others may pick on her a lot, that is one thing to watch out for. If there is no blood leave it go on. Every time you take her out it starts all over again when you put her back. There is another method of introducing a single bird. Take another hen and put her with the new one for a day or to for her to bond one on one. If you have a lager flock you may take a couple more and place in with her, to give the group more numbers.

Back
Top Bottom