Nesting Box Questions

Forestry Guy

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
I am getting to the point with my coop where it is about time to start adding roosts and nesting boxes. I know what I am going to use for the roosts but unsure what to use for the nesting boxes. I have an 8' x 10' coop and am planning 12 - 15 chickens. I am unsure of what materials to use to build the boxes but was thinking using like 1" thick pine that you can buy at places like Home Depot. I am also debating between internal boxes and boxes that built into the wall to provide easy access to eggs. Thinking a 12" x 12" x 12" box is that too big or too small? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

My DH used plywood for our boxes. The benefits of having the boxes built into the wall where you can collect outside is that you are saving floor space. So more floor space equals more chickens being able to fit into the coop. I've read where people even use milk crates and five gallon buckets for nesting boxes. As for the size the DH made sure ours were about 14 inches wide, at least 12 inches high and about 12 inches deep. Good luck and post pictures when you're done.
smile.png

It depends on how big your birds are. I have small breeds and use those crates that they advertise for children's storage and they stack together. They are about a foot wide and 25cm high and 20 cm deep. I have them angled so that the egg rolls towards the back rather than the front where it could fall out. Your suggested size should be fine, they don't need to much space since they like to lay in smaller dark AMD protective spaces

I believe it was just OSB board and because my DH put mine on legs so it could easily be moved I am in the process of staining it. I didnt want the paint chips that come with paint. Mine is on the inside of the coop though.

If it helps any here is a picture of the nesting boxes, this is before they were stained and they just need some hardware cloth added to the bottom.

I told DH I wanted a lid because they only stand about 10 inches off the ground and my one knee is horrible so this keeps me from having to squat down.

Back
Top Bottom