Introducing New chicks to Old

Isaac T Brown

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
Michigan
I have a bunch of free range chickens in a large coop. There are 22 in the coop. Also there are 7 chickens and 6 pheasants in a large wooden box inside a barn. There is a screen over the top to trap the escapees who like to jump the top. I'm going to move them into the coop with the others soon, but don't know how to introduce them.
hu.gif
Last time I introduced chicks to the coop, I put the box into the coop, sawed off one side of the box, and the chicks came out slowly. I locked the door to outside for the first week or so, but if I did that now, the old chickens would be locked out. What do I do?

Partition corner of the coop off for the new chicks for that week. Then make an opening just large enough for the young ones. Don't forget to top the partitioned corner.

We have a large wire dog pen (up to 16 square feet) that we set up inside the coop and put a solid wood top on it (the wire top would allow too much poop!). We put the new fowl inside this pen for a week (young ones maybe a little longer). They seem to work out their drama and posturing through the wire and there is little injury. By the time we introduce them into the main flock, things are pretty calm.
Finding a place to roost might be an issue for the new fowl but I'm sure you'll figure that out for them.
We also use the pen for any broody hens so they are segregated and left alone by the flock.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom