Taming Older Chicks

Danniro

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
I have two chicks that I bought when they were 5 weeks, they're now about 7 weeks.
They are mixed and both have a buff orp daddy and are fairly calm, I've noticed.
During the day they romp in the run of our eglu and they sleep in the basement in a dog crate at night.
I really want them to get used to me!!
It's really hard to get them into their crate in the evening because they run away when I open the door and the run is too small for me to get into.
They don't like being picked up and run away but if I open their crate door and let them come out when they want they're comfortable with hopping on my knee or maybe stepping on my hand. But other than that they seem super scared of me :(
They don't really understand treats yet but I've throw them oats a few times and they liked it, just not enough to eat out of my hand.
Any tips?

I have two chicks that I bought when they were 5 weeks, they're now about 7 weeks.
They are mixed and both have a buff orp daddy and are fairly calm, I've noticed.
During the day they romp in the run of our eglu and they sleep in the basement in a dog crate at night.
I really want them to get used to me!!
It's really hard to get them into their crate in the evening because they run away when I open the door and the run is too small for me to get into.
They don't like being picked up and run away but if I open their crate door and let them come out when they want they're comfortable with hopping on my knee or maybe stepping on my hand. But other than that they seem super scared of me :(
They don't really understand treats yet but I've throw them oats a few times and they liked it, just not enough to eat out of my hand.
Any tips?

Ya chicks go through different stages but in the next couple of weeks the stage of where the food comes from and they will be all under your feet and if you spend some time with them will let you pick them up but be easy with them and you will bond My EE chicks use me for a roost when I sit on the front porch ...

Ya chicks go through different stages but in the next couple of weeks the stage of where the food comes from and they will be all under your feet and if you spend some time with them will let you pick them up but be easy with them and you will bond My EE chicks use me for a roost when I sit on the front porch ... 
x2!
It gets dangerous when little silkies aren't afraid of your feet coming down on top of them.
Mine are a tripping hazard, but don't like being picked up either...probably has to do with them being pretty much obligate prey items.

Back
Top Bottom