Chick is hunched with droopy wings

onmelissa

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 8, 2014
Approximately 6 week old ameraucana is standing hunched with eyes closed. Wings are droopy and she's peeping. She will rouse and scratch/peck around, but resumes her same stance. I assumed it was cocci, but this is the 4th day on Corid and she is looking worse instead of better. I just checked her all over and saw a few lice on her wings so I've dusted her.

I got her and two others about a week ago...I found one of them dead Sunday morning and this one was looking unwell so I started treatment.
How long does it usually take to show improvement once Corid is started?
And if it's not cocci, what else could it be?

Have you tried giving her the Corid with a dropper or syringe? They will stop eating and later, drinking because of abdominal pain with cocci, so you may need to get more into her. Normally most people report that symptoms get better after a day or two of Corid, but there are 9 strains of cocci, and 2 are pretty bad. Has she had any blood in her stools? After 5 days of Corid, if she has been drinking, I would switch to Sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet. If she has not been drinking it up to now, I would treat with the Corid for 7 days instead of 5.

Last edited:
Do you have her on electrolytes as well?

I did put some electrolytes in the water this morning, but then I read that the thyamine would counteract the Corid so I dumped it.

I have not seen any blood in her stool, but the stools do seem loose; her rear feathers are stained. I've been dipping her beak, but I can start dropper feeding.

I've been doing corid water with the dropper. Here's some poop.

If she will drink when you dip her beak, that is the safest. If you dropper feed, give only a couple of drops, and let her swallow. It is easy to choke them.

She's still with us this morning, although not improved. Each morning seems a victory!

I would probably switch to sulfadimethoxine or Sulmet today if you can get it. Is she taking the Corid for you? You can mix it more concentrated for dropper feeding. I had misspelled the sulfadimethoxine earlier--it sometimes comes in a band called Di-Methox, and the Sulmet should be easily found at farm stores.

Back
Top Bottom