Backyard Ducks on an Open Lake?

jakesterz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 23, 2014
I live backed up to a lake that's part of a lake system in the 'burbs. There are already mallards, occasional other wild ducks and birds, as well as feral Muscovies everywhere. I was thinking of raising ducks, and letting them forage on the lake as the wild birds do (with supplementation as needed). Is this feasible? Will the ducks return home at night? Will they breed with the existing ducks? Can that be prevented? What other concerns should I have about this situation?

Thanks much!

Last edited:
Hi! Welcome.

I will try to answer your questions.

I would probably recommend against doing this for several reasons. One of them is that it's not a good idea to mix wild and feral ducks with your own ducks. Even if your ducks appear healthy, they can spread disease to the wild ducks and vice versa. Wild and feral ducks tend to have a lot of parasites as well.

I've heard a lot of stories about ducks not returning for night-time lockup and staying out on the lake/ponds refusing to come in. They can be trained to come back, but don't always want do so.

Yes, they will breed with the wild ducks diluting the wild duck gene pool. This may result in a larger number of non-flying ducks that can't migrate. There's not much you can do about them breeding as it's a strong drive for them to do so. You can take away any eggs your ducks lay (if they don't hide them from you), but you can't mess with a wild duck's nest.

Also, I don't know if your lake is a man-made lake or a lake maintained by a Home Owner's Association. If it is, they probably wouldn't like you adding to what might be an existing problem.

Free-ranging, in general, is risky even if it's only done for a few hours a day. You will lose birds that way, guaranteed.

Hi! Welcome.

I will try to answer your questions.

I would probably recommend against doing this for several reasons. One of them is that it's not a good idea to mix wild and feral ducks with your own ducks. Even if your ducks appear healthy, they can spread disease to the wild ducks and vice versa. Wild and feral ducks tend to have a lot of parasites as well.

I've heard a lot of stories about ducks not returning for night-time lockup and staying out on the lake/ponds refusing to come in. They can be trained to come back, but don't always want do so.

Yes, they will breed with the wild ducks diluting the wild duck gene pool. This may result in a larger number of non-flying ducks that can't migrate. There's not much you can do about them breeding as it's a strong drive for them to do so. You can take away any eggs your ducks lay (if they don't hide them from you), but you can't mess with a wild duck's nest.

Also, I don't know if your lake is a man-made lake or a lake maintained by a Home Owner's Association. If it is, they probably wouldn't like you adding to what might be an existing problem.

Free-ranging, in general, is risky even if it's only done for a few hours a day. You will lose birds that way, guaranteed.
Also it is more then likely against Fish and Game policy and you would probably get fined and your birds removed do to the fact that there interfering with the wild species.
jumpy.gif

I live backed up to a lake that's part of a lake system in the 'burbs. There are already mallards, occasional other wild ducks and birds, as well as feral Muscovies everywhere. I was thinking of raising ducks, and letting them forage on the lake as the wild birds do (with supplementation as needed). Is this feasible? Will the ducks return home at night? Will they breed with the existing ducks? Can that be prevented? What other concerns should I have about this situation?

Thanks much!

Dear jakesterz

My backyard is on a small lake in a neighborhood. For many years wild and domestic ducks lived here, however, in the past five years there was a rapid decline; possibly from fox and coyote population increase in our area. While all concerns I've read are valid and must be seriously investigated and considered, I must, however, recommend it!

1. Ducks are waterfowl; while they can be very happy and healthy without it, they flourish on bodies of water.
2. There will always be mixing of domestic & feral anyway when ignorant Easter purchases are allowed to continue and people dump adult ducks out at some random lake. I have 2 mallard youngsters in my just hatched batch despite my best efforts to keep the mallard drakes away.
3. Disease transfer is always a concern even if you do not freerange. Even YOU can spread disease to your secluded ducks with the germs on the bottoms of your shoes.

I would advise you to do your research. Find out what the laws in your area are and with the HOA. Ask your neighbors if they would like to enjoy watching your ducks on the water. Ask yourself if you are willing to sacrifice your time, sleep, tears and money to hire a sitter when you travel out of town. Even if you freerange, know they are still your ducks and they need you to keep them alive to the best of your ability.

I would not do it any other way in my current location. It has been a life changing experience. Mostly good but some sad too. Good luck. Would love to hear from you when you decide what to do.

Back
Top Bottom