Lame Duck Questions

poultrypalooza

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 7, 2014
I have a two year old Pekin Hen that seems to have developed extremely bowed legs, at least one of them is bowed. I noticed a week or so ago that she seemed to be just sitting a lot in their yard. I noticed yesterday that she was walking "funny" not really limping but she'd take a few steps and then flop down on her belly. That is when I noticed her one leg seemed extra bowed. She also seems more clumsy and literally stumbles over her own feet. In all other ways she is completely normal. She is eating and drinking and continues to lay one egg per day, she even still climbs the ramp to go into the nest box to lay her egg. I looked her over carefully and did not see any blood, swelling, or any other physical sign of injury (no broken bones, etc.) I asked another "duck person", and they suggested that I add Brewer's Yeast to her diet. She (and all my ducks) get layer pellets (chicken), oyster shell, and fresh veggies every day. I went to the store today and got the Brewer's Yeast. I sprinkled 1 Tablespoon on each pan of pellets (I have 2 pans in their pen). Here are my questions:
1. Am I giving them enough Brewer's Yeast?
2. How long should it take for me to see an improvement in her leg using the Brewer's Yeast?
3. Does anyone think there is something else going on with her besides a niacin deficiency? If so, suggestions?

Thanks so much for any input, suggestions, etc. I really want her to be "back on her feet" as soon as possible!

Back
Top Bottom