Torn webbing on foot :(

scrabbleaims

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 11, 2014
Ridgetown Ontario, Canada
I am new to geese as well as chickens. Today one of our 6 week old goose sliced it's webbing close to the middle (toe?). The length of the wound is about an inch and is almost a straight slice. Will the wound regenerate as peoples wounds or will it just continue to tear? I cleaned it with a saline wound rinse and closed it with surgical glue. I then put non-sterile dressing gauze underneath to offer some comfort and protection. Then I wrapped the three (toes?) together to prevent further tearing with self-adhesive tape and dressing tape. So the toes are closed and not open if he/she wants to walk. So far it doesn't seem bothered by it and it is not pecking at it. There is no pond to swim in just a small wading area, and it seems to walk on it ok, keeps it's balance.

Can they feel the pain? There seemed to be a lot of blood :(

Any info is great thanks!

It sounds like you did a good job taking care of your goose's injury. Geese have amazing circulation into their feet and they will bleed profusely in that area. But since you stopped the bleeding, all will be well. Geese do feel pain, but have a remarkable resilience and heal fast. I expect your goose will act like nothing happened within a day or two.

You seem to have done as much as you could for your gosling. That should heal fast. The surgical glue is great to use to help hold it together.
Where did you find surgical glue at?

Thanks! I still have the wrapping on it as it happened yesterday. I'll keep it on for a day or two more. I just fear that it may tear again. I've read that they need to go to the vet. I'm not sure what they would do in that case... sutures, re-sectioning? idk. I feel so bad. He/she is doing quite well though.

I believe I got the glue from the vet. I am a shih tzu breeder and use it when needed for the dewclaws.

Just an update... all is like new! I was afraid that it would continue to tear but it didn't :D My little goose is a happy goose ;)
Their amazing how well they heal. glad to hear the lil goose is healed up.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom