Quail feet rotting away...

BackYardQuail

Songster
9 Years
Apr 12, 2014
Okay so I went over to my brothers house today and we talked a little about quail, when we went to his pen, we saw balls of manure stuck to some of their feet. I went and got a bucket of
warm water to soak their feet in and take the balls off. We managed to take them all off but the manure rotted the nail and some skin off (we didn't pull the nail and skin off because the manure just fell off in the water, we did not pull.). My brother gave me the 3 quail that had it the worst because it was either that or letting them bleed to death in his pen. Now my question is what type of medicine should I give them? Just rub some Neosporin on their toes? I am currently keeping them in my brooder so they wont be pecked by my flock.

You need to put these birds on bedding for a while. No wire. No meds are needed unless the feet start to swell and get really warm although you can slather on some neosporin (without the pain killer) for a couple days to prevent infection. So use pine shavings or grass hay. Keep it very clean and dry and they should heal up ok.

Last edited:
Treating the outside with betadine is good if you can get it. Neosporin or Preparation H are good topicals; put them on and wrap the feet with gauze or vetwrap. If it's really bad, you may want to try an oral antibiotic like Flagyl to help with infections. Minor foot issues can respond well with just a good topical and periodic soaks in warm water. Corn starch or flour can help to stop the bleeding in a pinch if you don't have styptic powder.

I have a bobwhite quail that lost her foot some months ago and the stump has had a recurring infection since. When I looked at it about a week ago, some scabs came off of it and it started bleeding and oozing pus. What I did for her was give her a bath and scrubbed her down with vinegar to get her clean, then I gave her a foot bath in some epsom salt with goldenseal and grapefruit seed extract to disinfect it, then I applied some medicinal clay mixed with goldenseal powder to her wounds to get the pus out. When that was dry, I washed it off and applied some all-purpose lanolin ointment (I got this at walmart in the pet section) mixed with goldenseal and lavender oil. Then I put her in a cage on some soft paper towels to let it heal and gave her some herbal medicine in her snacks. Within a few days, the scabs healed over and she was hopping around on it again. We're not quite out of the woods yet as the infection spread to the rest of her body, but she is doing considerably better.

But that was for an open wound with a bad infection that had been there for months, your quails' feet might not be so bad. It sounds like the bacteria probably just gave them an infection on the sores in their feet. The main thing is to wash them off and keep them clean. They should heal by themselves if you keep them away from bacteria and on something soft so the wounds can scab over. If I were you, I'd give them the foot bath, then put some antibacterial ointment on (make sure to use something that won't harm them as a lot of antibacterial ointments are poisonous to birds), then put them on some soft paper towels and change them frequently until their feet are fully healed-about a week or so. Then you can move them to a clean, dry place where this sort of thing won't happen again.

Thank you all for the help. I'll be doing pretty much everything you three said to help them heal. I'll keep you posted.

The quail are doing much better now, the first day they just laid in the corners of the brooder. Now they are all walking/jumping around. They will go in my coop soon. Thanks for all the help.

So happy their doing better! I'd love to see some pics of them soon!
clap.gif
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
ya.gif
woot.gif

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom