CORNISH ROCK HAVE A BAD REPUTATION OR WHAT

3 NH reds

Songster
9 Years
Dec 5, 2011
Western Mass
I have raised chicken for a few years now but I was always afraid to raise the jumbo cornish rocks. The stories I hear are bad legs heart attacks and they eat them self to death. Well this year I got some and nothing like that has happened. This is week 8 and no one is sick or has a bad leg. They leave food behind! We were feeding them like a chart said we should and around week 6 we noticed they had food left over. I supplement with Fermented corn but I subtract some feed for that. The weights are right up where they belong as well. 2 more weeks and it will be the end but so far I would do this all over again.

I have raised the Cornish X for quite a few years now without any of the horror stories told by some bleeding heart know it all' s, and / or by those that have an axe to grind with commercial producers. I laugh all the way to the dinner table
droolin.gif
while in the meantime the naysayers are still feeding $$$s to the so called Heritage birds.
D.gif

I love my Cornish X. They maybe a little bit more pushy at feeding time, but who can blame them? They grow quick! I've had very few health problems. I let my birds free range and limit food past 2-3 weeks old. They are sweet birds. And awfully tasty, if I do say so myself.

those x's have more feathers than i have seen on most any of the crosses....and look good...jeff

We've also had only good experiences with them. We had some losses on our last batch and that's really the first time it's happened in raising a few hundred + of them. I've always wished there was a regular chicken with their friendly, docile personality.

We've also had only good experiences with them. We had some losses on our last batch and that's really the first time it's happened in raising a few hundred + of them. I've always wished there was a regular chicken with their friendly, docile personality.
I agree. My Cornish X are the friendliest birds. Follow me around the yard, tolerate being petted by my toddler. I suspect it is mostly food motivated though. I would love a chicken with Cornish X personality and regular chicken longevity.

All of your birds look healthy and happy. Kudos. I'm ordering 25 CX's in Sept. Hope I do as well.

Good luck on your birds! I'm convinced the best way to keep them healthy is limit feed and allow them as much range as possible to forage in. I've also tried Ranger type broilers, and have decided that I very much prefer the Cornish X. I will stick to them only in the future for meaties, unless I need some birds to grow out slowly over the winter.

I agree. My Cornish X are the friendliest birds. Follow me around the yard, tolerate being petted by my toddler. I suspect it is mostly food motivated though. I would love a chicken with Cornish X personality and regular chicken longevity.

Good luck on your birds! I'm convinced the best way to keep them healthy is limit feed and allow them as much range as possible to forage in. I've also tried Ranger type broilers, and have decided that I very much prefer the Cornish X. I will stick to them only in the future for meaties, unless I need some birds to grow out slowly over the winter.

I have one EO Basque that is so cute and friendly. The only one out of 6 that hatched. I'm getting another order in Sept. They are considered to friendliest birds out there.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom