Quail numbers question

Invision

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 24, 2014
Washington, Kitsap County
Hi,

I'm new to quail but I have raised ducks, chickens, Pheasants, Paraletts, and finches. My quail tractor 3'W x 2'T x 8'L with a coop on top at 3 x 1 x 3 (very heavy). Also training them to use the steps into the coop, almost there :)

I currently have 9 birds in it 3 males 6 females and they are 4 weeks old today, I will be raising these for meat birds, eggs, and in a few years Falconry (supplement food during off season). I would like to know how many birds max would be comfortable in this pen?

I will be incubating the new eggs in 3 weeks and I am hoping for 42 eggs by the middle of August. then those birds will be in meat pens on the side of my workshop. I've read I can have 1 male per 4 females so I want to know if I added 9 more females would my fertility be ok or should I go 1 to 3?

But is 18 birds to many for that size of cage?

Thanks for replies

Last edited:
You can keep them in 1:3 groups but they will overbreed the females most likely, what I see happen a lot with quads is the female getting overbred snaps and has to be put down or removed, and then you're left with a trio which will lead to further problems with overbreeding...I just don't mess with it because it becomes a hassle later.

The thing you aren't going to be able to get away with in that small of a cage is multiple roosters. When you run multiple roos you need 6-8 hens each at least and 2-3 sq ft per bird. It's ok in aviary sized cages but it just doesn't fly in small cages. Sometimes they'll even get along the whole first year, but somewhere along the way those males are going to fight to the death. They also are rougher on the females because one will see the other breed a hen then go breed her again immediately after.

Edit to add: you will have to integrate any birds you want to add slowly by keeping them caged right next to each other and then when adding them together, add everyone to a new cage so no feels like they need to protect "their" territory. If you just toss more birds in there most will get along but a few will get rejected and they'll usually kill the rejects or try to.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom