Old Folks Back Home or Swanee River (Suwanee River)

chick n goat ma

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 22, 2014
North Central Florida
We retired to Fl. cuz real estate was the cheapest in the land back then....After losing most of our retirement savings in the crash of 2008, We barely managed to buy a home on 1.5 acres, mostly pasture land with some treed copses,surrounded by forest down a sandy lane, about an hour or so's drive from the Nature Coast and the Suwanee River. That was 5 years ago. I was quite lonely, (we only have 3 neighbors within walking distance) till I took up goat keeping about 16 months ago and recently chickens too. I really like most living creatures and find my three lovely goats and 5 chickens both delightful and adorable and they keep me busy. I describe them as pets that give back (milk and eggs, soon I hope) We are kinda semi-hermits but I could not be happier and my life is very full of meaning now. I love it here. Even tho' the summer, June thru' August are uncomfortably hot and humid and to keep costs down we only A/C one room. We leave lots of fresh water with a little ACV added for the critters and there are plenty of shady spots for them. The goats spend much of the day when not grazing, sleeping on the house porch which they have taken possession of much of the time, and the chickens I notice take up refuge in the goat house in the pen where we also built their coop and run and where they free roam all day.
"Old Folks Back Home" aka "Way Down Upon The Swanee River" is the Florida State Song.... I find that quite amusing as it was written by Stephen Foster in 1851.. a northener from Pennsylvanian.

So when one door slams in ones face another seems to open up for one. I can honestly say that taking up this totally new life style was the best thing that could have happened to me.

http://www.50states.com/songs/florida.htm.

Sounds pretty good. I can deal with the heat down here , the trade off is 8 months of near perfection.
I hear ya! I'm in s. florida, and it gets VERY hot. Been here my whole life though. I'm so happy for you chick n goat ma. It really is a beautiful place, you just have to look, that's all.
thumbsup.gif

Sounds like you have found a your place in life. I can't imagine not surrounding myself with pets and animals. They bring such peace and contentment.

Back
Top Bottom