is it possible to convert grown chickens to the nipple system?

Chickengirl64

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 23, 2014
Got 6 nice chickens about 10 days ago to replace the ones I lost over memorial day weekend. They're settling in nicely, and starting to lay eggs regularly. The coop is set up with a nipple system, but the chickens aren't used to that. I have a tub of water in there, but it gets nasty so quickly. Is it possible to convert these chickens to the nipple system? They're very curious chickens. Thanks, Chickengirl64

I have found horizontal nipples to be superior to vertical nipples, but regardless just click the stem so as to expose a water droplet, and show it to the bird. Once you have one drinking the others will follow. I know it does not seem that it should work, but it does.

Any style of nipple is an improvement over an open pan for sure. It might take a minute or two, and it helps to remove the water so as they have no other choice… Sit and watch them, prime the stainless steal plunger to get that water drop on it and in a few minutes, you should be good to go.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

Thanks, RJ - I have the same type of chickens as your picture of Chicken George and I LOVE them.

I did have one interested in it right after we first got them, I showed her the nipple, she kept pecking my finger. We were too worried about them getting dehydrated so we put the tub out. I'll try again - they're definitely curious girls.

I used a laser pointer to get my chicks switched from a bowl to the nipples. They went two days without drinking and was getting nervous about dehydration. Was out there before sun up and had them all drinking off the nipples in a matter of minutes. Shined the laser on the stainless nipples and the rest is history!!

When our system was first installed I played with the drippers until one figured it out, the rest then went to town on it.. Took all of 10 min I think.. Have 4 nipples on the bar yet they all still try to drink from the same one **facepalm**

Back
Top Bottom