Rooster starting to look scraggly???????

Snappypappy

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 22, 2014
I have a polish rooster that I've had for approximately 2 months. I have noticed he has started to thin out and I really don't know what to do to help The Kernel out. He seems healthy, he eats well crows every morning and he seems to enjoy his lady often. As I am extremely new to chickens I don't know how to get some meat on him. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated Thank you.

I have a polish rooster that I've had for approximately 2 months. I have noticed he has started to thin out and I really don't know what to do to help The Kernel out. He seems healthy, he eats well crows every morning and he seems to enjoy his lady often. As I am extremely new to chickens I don't know how to get some meat on him. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated Thank you.
What all are you feeding him (feed, treats, grains everything) and what protein and brand is the feed that your feeding?
Also have you wormed and or dusted for mites?

I feed a mixture of layer pellets and medicated crumble mainly layer pellets, I also give scratch. I've made grit available in a separate container. I some times give veggies from the garden and I cover the floor on the pen with grass clipping when available. I have made a 7 dust bath available to them when the weather permits it. However I have never dewormed and truthfully I don't know how.

This comes from Dawg58 who is an expert here:

Get rid of the worms first. I recommend valbazen, it slowly kills worms over several days which prevents blockages that cause toxic dead worm overload....1/2cc orally undiluted will get rid of all worms your birds may have, redose again in 10 days. About 3 hours after worming, give your birds probiotics for several days in conjunction with layer feed

When I worm I do Safeguard for goats mixed 9 parts water to 1 part safegaurd then give 1cc of that mix orally to large fowl breeds then 10 days later I hit them with Valbazen mixed 1/2 valbazen and 1/2 water and give 3cc to each large fowl bird.

Thanks for the help, but when you say safeguard are you talking about a pyrantel pamoate? Is this something I can get from tractor supply? My local feed store doesn't seem to carry much nor do they seem to be any help. Also once I worm him is there any suggestions on supplements or treats that I can offer that might help bulk him up?

Thanks for the help, but when you say safeguard are you talking about a pyrantel pamoate? Is this something I can get from tractor supply? My local feed store doesn't seem to carry much nor do they seem to be any help. Also once I worm him is there any suggestions on supplements or treats that I can offer that might help bulk him up?
Fenbendazole, You can get it a TSC if you want you can give him a 1/4 of a slice of bread soaked in milk the day after worming. You can supplement with a floating fish pellet. (TSC has that also) Add about 3 oz's to a pound of feed. Also do not give him and apple cider vinegar the day of worming or the day before and after.

It comes in a bottle that looks like this.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom