Bob white or contronix quail

1.how big a cage
2. Either go broody
3.which is cheaper

Thanks for the ansers
Cots 1sq ft per bird, bobs no less than 4 sq ft per bird

Neither are likely to go broody, both these species have been captive bred and cage raised too long, their brooding instincts are nearly gone.

Coturnix. Bobs only lay eggs from may to august each year (about 100 eggs total) and will not lay until the first may after they are 30 weeks old. So you are feeding them from now until may before you get an egg. Coturnix will start layin between 7-12 weeks and will lay up to 300 eggs without artificial lighting. For meat purposes coturnix are ready to butcher in 8 weeks and bobs aren't ready until 16-20 weeks.

I would recommend coturnix if haven't raised quail before. There is quite a bit of special care required to keep bobwhites from being cannibalistic of each other on top of them need at least 4 times the space. Bobs are very aggressive birds, if you aren't doing things right they'll kill each other very quickly.

Coturnix can be bred in groups of 1:4-1:7 Male:female. Bobs should only be kept in pairs or trios, unless you are giving them like 150 sq ft plus then you can consider a covey.

scaled, valley, gambels, bensons (elegant quail), chinese quail, mearns, harlequin, and mountain quail are what I can think of off the top of my head. Some of those species are hard to come and can be even harder to raise, like mountain quail.

Back
Top Bottom