Chicken orphaned, what do I do??

dominique man

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 11, 2014
Findlay Ohio
I had three chickens and recently two were killed by an unknown predator. There is one left and she is completely alone. What should I do about this? I know that chickens should be in groups and I'm getting three more chicks on August 4th but will she be alright with them? Should I send her off to be with my friends chickens for a while? I'm devastated as they were my favorite pets after my dog. Thanks for the help

I wouldn't send it to your friends, it will just stress the bird more and may introduce disease/cocci strains that could make her sick. Aug isn't that far away, if you can't get her a friend before then, you could try placing a mirror in the coop. I haven't done this, but know that some have had success with it.

How old are the chicks you are getting? I they're considerably younger and smaller than your hen, you will need to keep them separated until they're close to the same size. She could likely kill babies if you put them in with her. And if you get adults or larger chicks, there will still be chasing and pecking to establish the pecking order. They're not going to just live happily ever after right away.

I'm getting day old chicks so they will probably not be good with her so I think I'm going to go for sending her off to my friends to live with them for a bit

Back
Top Bottom