Possible rooster being abused by other chickens 9 weeks old

Chubsmalone

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 25, 2014
I have 5 chickens. They were supposedly all female when I bought them, but I know this not always accurate. The lady didn't know the breed either and I think they're some kind of mixes. One of the black ones has REALLY started looking like a Black Copper Marans, sans the feathery feet, and has developed this amazingly red comb and floppy waddle. We are clueless, but suspect it may be a male.

Anyway... the others have begun pecking at him. His face was bleeding, and I saw one of them grab hold of his face and wag it around like a dog with a chew toy. Then I noticed the two who were picking on him had bloody faces too. This is my first time with chickens and obviously, something is wrong. I took out the most aggressive chicken. The suspected rooster is sleepy and has started cooing. He burrowed down and started a napfest with the remaining three.

I have researched this but can't figure it out. They aren't bored. The coop is clean and big enough for them. We keep them well fed and watered and basically are obsessed with caring for them.

Am I raising zombie chickens? HELP!!!

Sometimes, a chicken will be a victim of bullying. Or, it could be something as simple as the poor guy cut himself and the blood led to the pecking by the others. I had two that I was trying to integrate into a flock of birds that were about 5 weeks older. They were fine at night and would all roost together. During the day, though, the younger ones would hang out in the coop to avoid the older ones in the run. Slowly, they got used to each other and became one flock. I'd keep an eye on him and if the pecking doesn't stop, pull him out and allow him to heal, then try again. Put him in at night when they are still roosting. I'd put the aggressive one back in in a few days and pull the other chick out.

I did have a Buff Orphington that got pecked bloody when I first put them in their new coop/run. I put her back in the house until she healed up and then put her back in the flock with no problems.

Good luck!

Well, I have had the suspected Roo separated for a few days. Put him back in to try it out and they went after him right away. Right for his face. He doesn't seem to be the instigator, but all is fine when he's not in the pen. The two big white ones go after him like crazy. I'm wondering if I have more than one rooster.

Five total chickens. At 10 weeks, the two white ones have significant combs and huge feet, one has quite a wattle... and then there is the black copper maran mix and he has a BRIGHT red wattle and huge comb.

I'm at a loss... I think I'll have to give my beautiful one away...

Do you have any way to create a space for him in the run with the other chickens? That way, he can be with them, but not be abused. Things do change as they get bigger. Sometimes the smallest ends up running the flock :).

Well... let me tell you what happened. It turns out that we are suddenly moving, so I had to find a new home for my sweeties, because it will be a couple months before we are able to have a coop up and running at our new house. (I'm sure some people think I'm awful for this but it was the least stressful for the chickens this way....) So I found this great little 10 acre farm, and when the ladies came to collect the chickens, she said "oh, you have two roosters. no wonder they're fighting." (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) i KNEW it!!!!!

Anyway... Ella Bella Concetrace-a (named by my 4 year old) became Ella Fella Bitemyfaceoff (renamed by me), and has plenty of space away from Sparkle the cage fighter now.

Definitely a learning experience. Word to the wise... (or totally inexperienced, like myself..) when you buy chicks from a poultry swap and the lady says that she is totally in the know about sexing chicks and these are all going to be pullets... DO NOT BELIEVE HER!

It's a crapshoot.... Next time I will buy pullets right from the start.

Thanks for all the advice!

I don't think it's terrible - I think you did the most humate thing for your chickens AND for you! Moving is a stressful experience (I am a former Navy dependent and moved many times with my folks), and you have to do what's best for all concerned.

Hope you can get more chickens soon!

Back
Top Bottom