Will drakes settle down? Graphic mating talk warning!!!!!

petesgirl

Chirping
9 Years
May 28, 2010
Seattle
I wound up with 3 male white and fawn runner ducks. I do not want to give them up, but they very much want to mate. Saw one duck trying to mate with my dog's toy and then another one hopped on to that duck. It was kinda sad and funny at the same time.

They try to mate with my dogs also, yuck! So we got 4 more ducks and now only 2 females. Drakes have not been bothering the females, probably still too young. Just want to know if they will eventually settle down with this attempting mating thing. I am very much worried about the 5 males 2 females ratio but do not want to rehome, but so far the drakes are more interested in the dogs, which are males. Afraid my dogs will eventually snap and hurt a duck, but so far they have been very patient.

I also want the ducks to be able to free range on our property and do not want to have to keep them in their run at all times, but if I have to separate I will. Oh, and they don't bother the chickens, just the dogs and dog toys. And one drake likes to bite my foot when I am wearing sandals, it hurts! They are out of control!

Is there a way I can keep 5 males and 2 females? I don't want more ducks, as they are very messy. Is rehoming my only choice for a more peaceful home?

It sounds like they've just reached that age of interest but no clue as to what they're doing lol. I had a female for every male and they paired up accordingly. Once they figured out who was pairing with whom they did settle down. Keeping fewer females than males is a disaster in the making though...especially for the females.

That is what I am worried about. I got the three males first and then the 4 which are half females. The 4 follow the 3 around, but the groups also separate sometimes. So far it looks like the 4 are pairing up. The 3 don't seem to be interested in the 2 females. I guess it wouldn't mind two more if they can guarantee they are females.

Right now none of the ducks like their house and sleep in the large dog kennel with my big dog. I got tired of getting them into their house. Now the only protection they have is the dog and a fence that has gaps at the gate, which they get out every morning before I let them out. My dog can't get out to protect them, so maybe I should leave the gate open. They go there automatically in the evening to go to sleep. Then they get up early, like 4-5 am. They go to their pond/pool area. My chickens are locked up into their coop every night, but the ducks wont go in there without a chase. Ducks are much more maintenance than the chickens! They are kinda like dogs!

You have a very well tempered dog if he actually stays in there with them! And without hurting them, either accidentally or intentionally!

If they really don't like their duck house, maybe getting a second kennel and putting it beside the one you have already will give the dog his own and then you'd only have to close up theirs.

I love ducks to pieces but they certainly are messy. I miss having them.

Try not feeding them during the day and then put their food and water in their house/coop, early evening and then locking them up. They really need to get used to it.

You will have to get rid of some of the males. Next spring you will be so frantic about their behavior if you don't. Locking them up seperately will also cause them a lot of stress because their hormones are telling them it's time to mate, male and female. You may also find that one of your females is a favorite of the males and they will fight over her. It can be REALLY CRAZY. Plus, this is what can happen when a female is constently bred and fought over.....

Try not feeding them during the day and then put their food and water in their house/coop, early evening and then locking them up. They really need to get used to it.

You will have to get rid of some of the males. Next spring you will be so frantic about their behavior if you don't. Locking them up seperately will also cause them a lot of stress because their hormones are telling them it's time to mate, male and female. You may also find that one of your females is a favorite of the males and they will fight over her. It can be REALLY CRAZY. Plus, this is what can happen when a female is constently bred and fought over.....

I saw your thread earlier today and was horrified! I am so thankful my drakes didn't fight over the girls and they paired off by breed on their own (which was surprising to me). I should have linked your tread to this one. I'm glad you did.

I really hope this girl is on the mend!

I saw your thread earlier today and was horrified! I am so thankful my drakes didn't fight over the girls and they paired off by breed on their own (which was surprising to me). I should have linked your tread to this one. I'm glad you did.

I really hope this girl is on the mend!
She died sometime in the night, [in case Southern Pride doesn't see this]

:( This is so sad.
Yes it is.
sad.png

My black Runner Drake (Quackers) does not like any of my chickens, especially the RIR Rooster. Quackers will chase that rooster all day long. It the rooster decides to get amorous with one of his girls and she squawks a bit Quackers is there to rescue her(reminds me of that song "along came lonely lanky john"....)! Interestingly enough that Quackers just adores my little polish Roo, and dotes over him to the point of sometimes ignoring her mate a white Peking (Cheese). They are the true 'odd couple'??? I finally had to separate the ducks from the chickens I was having to clean the chickens water 3 or 4 times a day, because the ducks muddied it. Also had to separate the RIR Rooster from the other Chickens and Ducks, If you have ever seen a large RIR Roo challenge a little Polish Roo, you will understand why.....besides the Black Runner Quackers gave the RIR no peace at all.
Pics when computer lets me send them...

Back
Top Bottom