Rooster to protect hens

astodd7835

Chirping
5 Years
May 21, 2014
Southern NH
Tell me o great ones what you think... do I need a rooster to protect my hens? I'm only going to free range them for a short time right before dusk every day. Are roosters always agressive to "all" as in animals and people? I remember as a kid my mom had a couple of honery old roos but I don't remember ever feeling afraid of them. I do like the idea of having a protector. I have 10 hens and want them safe.

A rooster is helpful in protecting day time predators, especially hawks. If it's something he can't defeat, he'll give himself up to save the hens.
All roosters aren't aggressive to people. Most protect from predators. That would be something that moves fast, especially from above. When roosters attack people, they've mistook the person for a predator or another rooster. Move slowly and not directly toward your animals, bring treats and the rooster will leave you alone.

Thanks for your input. I think I'll go for it! Any recommendations for Southern NH as far as breeds go? I have 6 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Barred Rocks, and 2 Americaunas. How are Barred Rocks?

All those American, English and Continental breeds would work where you live. I would probably go for a breed you already have probably and Orp or Rock.

As for other breeds. I like these 2 breed charts to look for personalities and traits.

http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/chickenbreedcomparison.pdf

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

As far as rooster personality goes, if you stay away from game breeds and the like, personality is an individual thing.
I also think heredity has a bit to do with it. Like begets like. I think if one doesn't want mean roosters, they shouldn't hatch chicks fathered by a mean rooster.

I have a BO roo, he is a big friendly guy. Protective of the girls, calls them to treats, adjusts, rearranges the nest for them, he grooms the girls, does warning calls when he sees something in air or ground, has killed a mole that got into the run after the dropped feed.

I have tried two other roosters - a Speckled Sussex and a RR rooster both were human aggressive when had to handle the hens. They both ended up in the soup pot. Main reason I have a rooster is want to add to flock, replacement of the ones going out of laying, and fill our freezer. I am unable to free range way too many predators.

A rooster is helpful in protecting day time predators, especially hawks. If it's something he can't defeat, he'll give himself up to save the hens.
All roosters aren't aggressive to people. Most protect from predators. That would be something that moves fast, especially from above. When roosters attack people, they've mistook the person for a predator or another rooster. Move slowly and not directly toward your animals, bring treats and the rooster will leave you alone.

Where do you get roosters like that? My Crested Polish seems to be the alpha male but I do not see him being any kind of a protector. I know that he doesn't see me as a predator because he doesn't get between me and the girls but I never saw him doing anything I would interpret as being protective of the girls while that raccoon was stalking them. Dang thing got 3 of my birds in two nights.

A rooster can't protect a flock at night. He's as blind and vulnerable as the hens in the dark. A raccoon has perfect night vision.

A polish rooster isn't much of a protector anyway because of limited vision especially overhead.

IMHO, a Mediterranean breed is an excellent flock protector.

This is my flock protector of choice for daytime predators. I've seen them take a hawk out of the air but at night a raccoon or mink will easily kill them.

Back
Top Bottom