Adding A Window to Coop...QUESTIONS!!

iwiw60

Crowing
5 Years
Jan 27, 2014
Central Oregon
Okay, so I need to add a window to my Lifetime Shed which is the coop part of my setup:

There is already a small window on one end of the shed but it doesn't get enough ventilation into the coop. So on the opposite wall I want to add an additional small window. I've been searching the web for some time and think I may have found what I need:

Small Shed WIndow 14 x 21 White Flush, Safety Glass, Playhouse Window

This window is 14"W x 21"T ... and would be an easy install for me. My question is this: while the window is supposed to open vertically, couldn't I turn the window 90 degrees so that it ends up 21"W x 14"T ???? It would then open as a 'slider' of sorts. I'm not a builder by any means and just need to know if this would work...HELP please!!
idunno.gif

I don't see any reason why you couldn't turn it. I ordered the 12x18 of this window for my coop and was thinking about mounting it on the inside so I can open and close the slider from the outside.

I don't see any reason why you couldn't turn it. I ordered the 12x18 of this window for my coop and was thinking about mounting it on the inside so I can open and close the slider from the outside.
What a great idea!!! I never thought of that...thanks! Especially since this window will be directly behind my roost bar/tray area...wow!

Last edited:
The windows won't be here until Tuesday so I won't be able to mount then until the weekend. But I will update with what we decide.

Not sure about all windows but I know the ones on my house have weep holes to let water drain that gets in the track when it rains. Just a thought that if you turn it the weep holes wont weep.

Not sure about all windows but I know the ones on my house have weep holes to let water drain that gets in the track when it rains. Just a thought that if you turn it the weep holes wont weep.
Hmmm, I'll have to take a close look before I mount it...thanks for the heads-up!

Well we ended up installing the window the way it was supposed to be installed. We then sandwiched hardware cloth between the window and trim. The girls are loving their new windows. Oh and we installed them so they slid to the left and right and not up and down. No problems to report so far.

Well we ended up installing the window the way it was supposed to be installed. We then sandwiched hardware cloth between the window and trim. The girls are loving their new windows. Oh and we installed them so they slid to the left and right and not up and down. No problems to report so far.
Great!! My window arrived 2 days ago...I'm going to mark out the hole and punch four pilot holes in the corners, then my BIL is going to come over and with his sword-saw thingie make the cuts for me. I am so pleased with this window I bought, and yes! I'm going to mount mine 'sideways' so it's a slider of sorts rather than up and down...yay!!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom