Poop not right

HerbGir1972

Songster
6 Years
Mar 16, 2014
South Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
Well this evening we let the chickies out as we do every evening for a romp with the kiddos.
Our largest bird had an awful looking stool, the stool itself look pretty normal but the watery bits we're quite bloody, it's acting a bit quiet (but the other 3 guys in the coop are all bumping chests & trying to figure out who's top dawg I guess) if she is a hen she could be past that right?), but is still eating and drinking as usual

Anyway I have her separated for now and we've had another chick pass a stool the looks normal but has a ring of watery stuff tinged with blood red, not as much as the other.
All of these birds came from the same man, who had everything from chicks to grown up chickens all eating the same thing cracked corn,
I will say I feel like we rescued these birds from that place...

Anyway I tried opening that allotment link, it won't allow my to see the images or even sign up as a member of the page... But in all the other images I've looked thru I have not found something that looks the same as what I have seen today from my birds.

I am going to get some wormer & cocci meds tomorrow.

Is there anything else that this could be???
By the way we feed medicated Chick Starter & have a little Apple Cider Vinegar & 1/4 clove garlic in the water hoping to prevent worms. they have only tried mealworms, and don't/won't get much green stuff to eat, mainly because we've tried it and it just dries up and gets cleared out of the coop, they don't eat it. They are not in contact with our other birds, they have about 12 more days before they we're off quarrentine in case of any issues.

If one chick passes something that looks the same as before I'll be sure to get an actual photo.

Corid/Amprolium is a treatment for chicks/chickens that may have cocciodis...signs are blood in their poop....lethargy...fluffed up feathers and sitting in a position without interest in their surroundings...without treatment death is rapid,,if your chicks show any of theses symptoms it is essential to treat as soon as possible.

I have read the instructions on the Bovine Corid I have purchased, what is the administration rate for baby chicks under 1 month old

I thought I'd make it 1 gallon at a time, since they are using quart & pint waterers.

Last edited:
If you have one of these products, the dosage is 2 tsp of liquid Corid, or 1 and 1/2 tsp of the power per gallon of water for 5 days.
corid%2016oz%20bottle%20hero%20lr.jpeg
GetThumbnail.aspx

That is egg-zactly the product I purchased.(the powder)
We've gotten them set up, they went to drinking immediately when we put the dosed water back into the iso-boxes.
And I noticed this afternoon, my Sweet Potato chick seems to have more interest in things now, I feel we caught the problem just in time.

Can I give a preventative dose to the rest of the chickens out at the farm, they have not been exposed to these chickens yet...
But we had planned on putting them out there in the small coop, next weekend. After we finished up the outer coop renovations.
They will be right next door to the others, with a screening in between. .

I read that a preventative dose of the Corid product would be 1/4 tsp per gallon is this right???

Last edited:
The coccidia is in the ground. Chickens need some exposure to it to build up immunity to it. Younger chickens 3-20 weeks are the ones building up immunity to it. Here are a couple of good links about coccidiosis, plus this chart below stolen from Casportpony's page:
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

We'll the one chicks that had gotten looking pretty sad, I almost though it was not going to make it.
tried to escape the iso box this a.m. & p.m. so I think it is fair to say must be feeling better
making more noise during the day & night
263a.png

I think we're over another small crisis in our chicken world.

Thanks to all who helped
263a.png

Have a Blessed Wednesday

I am really glad I think this is the only hen I received in the last couple chicks we picked up

Back
Top Bottom