If you use PDZ and/or sand, PLEASE reply! :)

rosiesgirls

Songster
7 Years
Jun 27, 2014
Broadalbin/Perth
Sorry, I know there are a lot of threads on here about PDZ and/or sand in the coop, but I've spent a lot of time looking and can't find an answer to my question. SO, here goes:

If you use one and/or the other, how do you use it? PDZ alone, or mixed with sand? If mixed with sand, what's the ratio you use? (this is the question I can't find an answer to) Do you use it on a poop board and the floor? Or, just one or the other?

I don't believe I'll put shavings or straw on top of it...just straw in the nest boxes with a stop in front so it won't (easily) get kicked out onto the floor. (plus, my nest boxes will be short enough that they can't stand all the way up, so they may not do much scratching in there, anyway)

Thanks for your input!

My caveat: I am new to chickens also, so take this with a big grain of salt.

Mine have straight PDZ in the henhouse. I could not find any info out from earlier posts about straight or mixed either, but it is a fine sand type of consistency, so I gave it a try. So far I have noticed no issues. Again, see the caveat above.

It is very easy to clean. I use a stainless wire scoop and it cleans up quickly.

The coop has a dirt floor and then yard clippings that I am putting in for about a week, and then raking out and throwing on the compost pile.

Good luck with your chickens!

Thanks, Daddyman! I saw a Youtube video where the guy uses straight PDZ on the floor and the poop board (really more like a tray), but he has a smallish coop...mine is 6x8 and I was concerned about how many bags I would need to use in order for it to be effective. It seems it would take about 4-5 bags. At $10 a bag, that gets into a bit of money. I'm hoping someone will tell me it works great mixed with sand, too, and I can cut the cost a bit that way.

Minflick: Sweet PDZ is a product sold in the horse department of Tractor Supply (and other places, too, i'm sure) as a "stall refresher". It absorbs moisture and neutralizes ammonia, both of which are bad to have in the hen house. It is sold in 25 lb. bags for about $10 a bag. I've used it under the shavings in my brooder and it works great at cutting the odor...which is great, since the brooder's in the basement!

The granular type looks like sand and, to clean it, you simply scoop out the poop with a kitty litter "rake" or something along those lines. You get just the poop and leave the PDZ/sand behind. They say it lasts a LONG time and, if you compost, you get just the manure, not a lot of bedding material.

If I can find the video I watched, I'll post a link.

I am using one 40 lb bag on the floor of the henhouse. The house is 3ft x 5ft.

While this layer is not very deep, it is currently working well. I will be adding another bag, however, just to make sure of good coverage all around.

Sorry to hear the bags are so costly were you live. While not cheap, Southern States Co-op sells the bags for $15 for 40lbs.

Happy trails!

Keith

I found 40 lb bags at another store...$15, like yours, so that's good. I think I'll use it straight on the poop board and mixed with a little sand on the floor.

Anyone have thoughts on using shavings over the PDZ/sand? I know some people do it, but I'm not sure I see the advantage. Seems like using the shavings will make it more difficult to clean(?). I've seen videos of people cleaning out the coop in a fashion similar to cleaning a litter box using a scoop. Looks pretty efficient and not too time consuming. So, what's the advantage of putting the shavings over it?

I use mostly sand and put a bag of PDZ under the roost
It's been great for the past year. I sift every morning with a cat litter thing. I went out if town for a week and my chicken sitter didn't scoop, no smell at all

Awesome! I was hoping I could use a lot of sand...some people said they only use 1/4 sand and 3/4 PDZ. The floor of my coop is 6x6. It seems like I'd have to use a LOT of PDZ in order to make it deep enough, and that could be a bit pricey. Speaking of which, how deep do you have it on your floor?

Back
Top Bottom